Kane County Hosting Last Free Confidential Document Shredding of 2022
Kane County's Recycling Program is hosting a free confidential document shredding event between 8 a.m. and 12 noon on Saturday, October 8, 2022, at the Kane County Branch Court office at 540 S. Randall Rd. in St. Charles. This will be the last free shred event of 2022.
Where: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174, just north of 38 and south of 64 across from the County Fairgrounds.
When: Saturday, 10/08/22, from 8am – 12 noon Event is rain or shine but will close in the event of hazardous conditions.
What: This is an event to shred residents' confidential documents and to collect latex paint, child car seats and aerosol items for proper disposal. We are not recycling any other items at this event.
Paint, Car Seat and Aerosol fees: There is a per-item fee to recycle latex paint, child car seats and aerosol items. Cash and cards accepted. See details below. There is no fee to shred.
- Please do not arrive before 8am; the longest wait times this year have been before 9am.
- If bringing documents and other materials, put documents in first so that the other materials are assessable first.
- Please follow all event signs and event personnel instructions.
- Please do not leave your vehicle.
- There is no event access via Prairie St. or the adjacent business parking lots.
- Traffic leaving the event will only be allowed to turn right (northbound) onto Randall Road.
- Shredding is offered for residents' personal documents bearing confidential information. This is not a business service.
- Shredding is offered to Kane County residents only - proof of residency required.
- Quantity is limited to 4 banker boxes (12" x 16" x 10") or equivalent per household or vehicle.
- Only bring documents that contain confidential information. Pieces of confidential information include social security numbers, driver's license or passport numbers, bank account and credit card numbers (the whole number, not just the final digits), and medical records. Addresses and phone numbers by themselves are not confidential.
- Please do not bring periodicals, magazines, junk mail, cash register receipts, or other papers that do not contain confidential information. Staff and volunteers may turn away loads that are mostly or entirely non-confidential.
- Remove all large metal or plastic pieces from confidential documents and folders. These include three ring binders, binder clips, metal folder hangers, plastic report covers or sleeves, and any laminated paper. Regular paperclips, staples, spiral binding and envelope windows are okay. Staff and volunteers may turn away loads that are heavily contaminated with metal or plastic.
- Please do not bring credit cards or ID cards. While these are confidential, the trucks are for paper only. These items should be cut up by hand and disposed of in household trash.
- Please do not bring paper that is already shredded. It can be taken to our Batavia or Aurora Recycling Centers in sealed paper bags (see our Centers page for info).
- Attendees must stay in their vehicles throughout. We will unload for you.
- Once unloaded, volunteers will return empty boxes, bags, etc. to your vehicle.
- Attendees wishing to watch their document load be shredded may not obstruct the line and must pull out of line to a safe location.
- There are three trucks scheduled that each hold 12,000 lbs of paper. Once the trucks are full, shredding will end for the day (we have not filled up yet this year).
Paint and Aerosol Items:
- Liquid latex paint and primer are accepted. Please do not bring oil-based paint or dried out latex paint. Oil-based paint must be disposed of as a household hazardous waste. Dried out latex paint can go in the trash. Empty paint cans can be recycled curbside.
- Please do not mix cans of paint together as it impedes recycling
- Costs for latex paint: $1 per quart can, $3 per gallon can, $5 per 2 gallon can, $15 per 5 gallon bucket
- Most aerosols are accepted, empty or with residual material. See Flat Can Recycling for exceptions.
- Propane tanks and isobutene canisters under 16oz are also accepted.
- Costs for aerosols and tanks: Aerosols and isobutene containers are $1 each. Propane tanks are $3 each.
- All child car seats and boosters are accepted.
- Costs for child seats is $20 per item to cover disassembly and transportation of materials to end recyclers.
- Cash and cards are accepted for fees - correct change is appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you!