Kane County Recycling Program's First Major Event of 2023
Shredding 'n' More Recycling Event, April 29, 2023 - confidential document shredding, paint, car seats, clothing, home goods
Where: Kane County Circuit Clerk's Building: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174, just north of 38 and south of 64 across from the County Fairgrounds.
When: Saturday, 4/29/23, from 8am – 12 noon Event is rain or shine but will close in the event of hazardous conditions.
What: This is an event to shred residents' confidential documents and to collect clothing, textiles, small home goods, latex paint, child car seats, aerosol items and small compressed gas containers for proper disposal. We are not recycling any other items at this event.
Free Services: Document shredding and recycling of clothing, shoes, textiles and small home goods are free.
Paint, Car Seat, Aerosol & Compressed Gas fees: There is a per-item fee to recycle latex paint, child car seats, aerosol items and small compressed gas containers. Cash and cards are accepted. See details below.
- Please do not arrive before 8am; the longest wait times at recent events have been during the first hour.
- If bringing multiple materials, please make sure documents are packed in first, then paint, aerosols, compressed gas and car seats, and that clothing, textiles and home goods are packed in last and are most easily assessable from the outside.
- If brining multiple materials, please stay to the right as you go around the building. For shredding only, stay to the left.
- Please follow all event signs and event personnel instructions.
- Please do not leave your vehicle during the event.
- There is no event access via Prairie St. or the adjacent business parking lots.
- Traffic leaving the event will only be able to turn right (northbound) onto Randall Road.
- Shredding is offered for residents' personal documents bearing confidential information. This is not a business service.
- Shredding is offered to Kane County residents only - proof of residency required.
- Quantity is limited to 4 boxes or roughly what will fit in a normal passenger vehicle without folding down seats. Please pack materials in cardboard boxes, plastic totes, or paper bags for small quantities. We will give your boxes and totes back.
- Please only bring documents that contain confidential information. Confidential information include social security numbers, driver's license or passport numbers, bank account and credit card numbers (the whole number, not just the final digits), and medical records. Addresses and phone numbers by themselves are not confidential.
- Remove all large metal or plastic pieces from confidential documents and folders. These include three ring binders, binder clips, metal folder hangers, plastic report covers or sleeves, spiral bindings, and any laminated paper. Regular paperclips, staples, and envelope windows are okay. Staff and volunteers may turn away loads that are heavily contaminated with metal or plastic.
- Please do not bring old credit cards or ID cards. While these are confidential, the trucks are for paper only. These items should be cut up by hand and disposed of in household trash.
- Please do not bring paper that is already shredded. It can be taken to our Batavia or West Dundee Recycling Centers year round in sealed paper bags (see our Centers page for info).
- Attendees must stay in their vehicles throughout. We will unload for you.
- Attendees wishing to watch their document load be shredded may not obstruct the line and must pull over to a safe location.
- There are four trucks scheduled that each hold 12,000 lbs of paper each. Once the trucks are full, shredding will end for the day. We did not have to end any events early due to over-capacity in 2022.
See more detail: https://www.countyofkane.org/Recycling/Pages/confidentialDocument.aspx
Latex Paint, Aerosol Items, Compressed Gas and Car Seats Guidelines and fees:
- Liquid latex (water-based) paint and primer are accepted. Please do not bring oil-based paint or dried out latex paint. Oil-based paint (marked flammable) must be disposed of as household hazardous waste. Dried out latex paint can go in the trash. Empty paint cans can be recycled curbside.
- Please do not mix cans of paint together as it impedes recycling
- Costs for latex paint: $1 per quart can, $3 per gallon can, $5 per 2 gallon can, $15 per 5 gallon bucket
- Most aerosols items are accepted empty or with residual material. See www.flatcanrecycling.com for exceptions.
- Propane tanks, isobutene, CO2 and MAPP gas canisters under 16oz are accepted. We cannot take grill-size propane tanks or any other gases.
- Costs for aerosols and tanks: Aerosols, isobutene, CO2 and MAPP gas containers are $1 each. Propane tanks are $3 each.
- All child car seats and boosters are accepted.
- Costs for child seats is $20 per item to cover disassembly and transportation of materials to end recyclers.
- Cash and cards are accepted for fees - correct change is appreciated.
Clothing, Shoes, Textiles and Small Home Goods Guidance:
- All clean and dry clothing is accepted - all sizes and styles
- All shoes are accepted - all sizes and styles
- Apparel accessories including backpacks, luggage, laptop bags, purses, handbags, wallets, gloves, hats, fashion jewelry, neckties, etc. are accepted.
- Home textiles and soft-goods accepted includes sheets, towels, blankets, drapes, duvets, pillows, sleeping bags, shower curtains, slip covers, and small, clean area rugs and mats. We cannot accept non-textiles such as window blinds, rolls of carpeting, or any furniture.
- Small, non-broken home décor items and decorative containers such as wall art, pictures, vases, figurines, baskets, empty soap dispensers, soap dishes, etc.
- Non-broken toys are accepted, including clean and dry plushies, plastic toys, diecasts, baby toys, dolls, puzzles and games with all pieces, etc.
- Small kitchen items, including dishes, glasses, salt and pepper shakers, utensils, etc. are accepted.
- We cannot accept any large electronics, sports equipment, furniture, wet or moldy items, or mattresses.
We look forward to seeing you!