ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: Only 1/3 of All Americans Have Had Even 1 Booster Shot; Some Questions About Paxlovid; China Doubles Down on Zero COVID Strategy
Less than half of eligible Americans — only about a third of the total U.S. population — have gotten a first booster dose, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Only about 10 million people have received a second booster, which is authorized for people 50 and older, along with those who are 12 and older who are moderately to severely immunocompromised.
As more doctors prescribe Pfizer’s powerful COVID-19 pill, new questions are emerging about its performance, including why a small number of patients appear to relapse after taking the drug. Paxlovid has become the go-to option against COVID-19 because of its at-home convenience and impressive results in heading off severe disease. But experts say there is still much to be learned about the drug, which was authorized in December for adults at high risk of severe COVID-19 based on a study in which 1,000 adults received the medication. (The Associated Press)
The Chinese authorities are tightening coronavirus restrictions in Shanghai and Beijing, heeding a message from the country’s top leader to double down on the zero-COVID strategy. (The New York Times)
KANE COUNTY: 230 New Cases, 0 Deaths Tuesday
The Illinois Department of Public Health today reported 230 new COVID-19 cases and no additional COVID-19 deaths among Kane County residents.
The IDPH is reporting 130,942 positive cases and 1,127 Kane County deaths since the pandemic began.
Kane County cases continue to trend up, but ICU bed availability is holding steadily and deaths remain low.
Kane County is recording an average of 43.9 daily COVID cases per 100,000 residents. Countywide, about 36% of ICU beds are available, and the county is averaging two COVID-19 deaths per week.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 5,344 New Cases, 15 Deaths
The state of Illinois recorded 5,344 new COVID-19 cases and 15 COVID-19 deaths today.
According to the IDPH, the totals to date are 3,189,086 positive cases and 33,684 COVID-19 deaths statewide since the pandemic began.
The daily case rate statewide is at 41.9 per 100,000 population. About 24% of the state’s ICU beds are available.
The state is averaging 73 diagnosed COVID-19 hospital admissions per day.
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data and Links
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 data page that includes a search by county.
- Click this link for the CDC’S Community Levels By County page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Data Surveillance Page