COVID-19 UPDATE: CDC Forecasts Rise in Deaths; BA.2.12.1 Poised To Become Dominant; 252 New Kane Cases Wednesday
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: CDC Forecasts Deaths Will Rise During Week Ending June 4; BA.2.12.1 Poised To Become Dominant; COVID Funding Still in Limbo; EU Ends Airport Mask Mandate
As of May 9, 2022, national forecasts predict 1,700–6,700 new #COVID19 deaths will likely be reported during the week ending June 4. That would bring the projected total number of U.S. deaths to 1,005,000–1,018,000. More: bit.ly/CDC_MForecast.
Despite a repeated White House push for a $22.5 billion package for COVID-19 vaccines, therapeutics and other treatments at home and abroad, a smaller package — whittled down to $10 billion has been stalled in the Senate as conservatives push to include language that maintains immigration restrictions at the country’s land borders. (The New York Times)
The European Union will no longer recommend that member states require face masks on planes and in airports, two E.U. agencies announced on Wednesday, ending a guideline that had been in place for nearly two years as countries across the bloc lift COVID restrictions.
KANE COUNTY: 252 New Cases, 0 Deaths Wednesday
Kane County recorded 252 new COVID-19 cases and no additional deaths in data reported today on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
The countywide totals are 131,194 positive cases and 1,127 COVID-19 deaths of Kane County residents since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s case totals continue to go up much faster than COVID-19 hospitalizations, although there was a fairly big single-day drop in ICU-bed availability.
The Kane County case rate is at 43.9 per 100,000 population. As you can see by the graphic above, that rate has been climbing steeply since April.
The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 hospitalizations is up to four. ICU-bed availability dropped from 36% yesterday to 30% today, according to the IDPH.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 6,158 New Cases, 11 Deaths Added Wednesday
The state of Illinois added 6,158 COVID-19 cases but just 11 deaths in data posted today by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Illinois’ COVID-19 totals are 3,195,244 positive cases and 33,695 COVID-19 deaths during the pandemic.
As you can see by the above graphic, Illinois’ daily case rate is 42.4 per 100,000 population.
The percentage of ICU beds available statewide is 21% of capacity.
Daily COVID-19 hospital admissions are averaging 75 statewide.
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data and Links
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 data page that includes a search by county.
- Click this link for the CDC’S Community Levels By County page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Data Surveillance Page