COVID-19 UPDATE: 8,981 New Illinois Cases Over Weekend; Kane Death Toll Unchanged Since April 14; WHO Watching BA.4, BA.5 In South Africa
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: South Africa COVID Surge Fueled By BA.4, BA.5; CDC Still Not Sure of 4th Booster For Healthy Under 50s; Moderna Sets Broad Timeline For Variant-Specific Booster
Coronavirus cases are surging again in South Africa, and public health experts are monitoring the situation, eager to know what’s driving the spike, what it says about immunity from previous infections and what its implications are globally. The spike is linked to BA.4 And BA.5, two subvariants that are part of the Omicron family. (The New York Times)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has so far authorized a fourth shot only for those aged 50 and above, as well as those who are immunocompromised. And the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was skeptical of the need for a fourth dose for healthy adults in the absence of a clearer public health strategy. (CNBC)
Moderna has set a broad timeline to deliver a variant-specific COVID-19 vaccine booster just days after asking the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for authorization to use its vaccine for children. (Fox News)
KANE COUNTY: 425 New Cases, 0 Deaths Over The Weekend
The Illinois Department of Public Health reported 425 new COVID-19 cases in Kane County but no additional deaths since its last report on Friday, April 29.
That brings Kane County totals to 129,110 positive COVID-19 cases and 1,125 deaths. There was one uptick and one correction since April 14, but the Kane County COVID death toll has remained at 1,125 during that time period.
Case rates, meanwhile, have consistently risen since April 1. According to the IDPH, Kane is recording a seven-day average case rate of 31.2 per 100,000 population. Kane County is averaging about 206 new COVID cases per day.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 8,981 New Cases, 6 Deaths Reported Over The Weekend
The state of Illinois recorded 8,981 new COVID-19 cases and six additional deaths in data added to the website today.
The statewide totals to date are 3,147,663 positive COVID-19 cases and 33,620 COVID-19 deaths.
The state is averaging 65 COVID-19 hospital admissions per day. About 25% of ICU beds remain available statewide.
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data and Links
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 data page that includes a search by county.
- Click this link for the CDC’S Community Levels By County page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Data Surveillance Page