COVID-19 UPDATE: 14,427 New Illinois Cases Over Weekend; Stocks Plunge; Infections Up 50% in 8 States
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: Stocks Plunge; Infections Up 50% in 8 States; Milwaukee County Reinstates Some Mask Requirements
Stocks deepened their losses on Wall Street Monday, sending the S&P 500 to its lowest close in more than a year. The benchmark index is coming off its fifth weekly loss in a row as renewed worries about China’s economy in the midst of COVID lockdowns, piled on top of markets already battered by rising interest rates. Stocks fell across Europe and much of Asia, as did everything from old-economy crude oil to new-economy bitcoin. (Associated Press)
Cases of COVID-19 are rising again. Infections have increased by more than 50% compared with the previous week in at least eight states. Parts of New York have moved into the “high” designation of COVID-19 community level, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention metrics.
Starting Friday, face masks are required at the Milwaukee County Courthouse complex for employees interacting with the public and for all visitors. In addition, the county will require masks in the jail, house of correction, juvenile detention center, behavioral health services hospital and the Coggs Center. (wisn.com)
After more than 150 years, Lincoln College in central Illinois is closing its doors after significant challenges from COVID-19 and complications stemming from a recent cyberattack. The college is a predominantly Black institution, as designated by the U.S. Department of Education, and according to the Lincoln Heritage Museum, was the only college named for Abraham Lincoln while he was still living. It opened in 1865. (CNN)
KANE COUNTY: 664 New Cases, 0 Deaths Over Weekend
Kane County added 664 COVID-19 cases and no additional deaths since Friday, according to data posted today by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Kane County’s totals are 130,712 positive cases and 1,127 COVID-19 deaths since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s daily case rate is up to 42.8 per 100,000 population, according to the IDPH.
About 38% of Kane County ICU beds are available. The county is averaging about three COVID-19 hospital admissions per day.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 14,427 New Cases, 9 Deaths Over Weekend
The state of Illinois added 14,427 new COVID-19 cases over the weekend but only nine additional deaths, according to data posted today by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The statewide totals to date are 3,183,742 positive cases and 33,669 COVID-19 deaths.
Daily cases continue to rise. The Illinois case rate per 100,000 population was 34.3 on Friday. It is 40.5 as of today.
COVID-19 Diagnosed Hospital Admissions went from 67 on Friday to 72 today.
The good news is that the percentage of available ICU beds statewide actually rose over the weekend. It was 21% on Friday, and is up to 25% today, according to the IDPH.
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data and Links
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 data page that includes a search by county.
- Click this link for the CDC’S Community Levels By County page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Data Surveillance Page