“A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk.”
— Orlando Aloysius Battista, Canadian-American chemist, author
- KCAC’s Adorable, Adoptable Pet of the Week is written by Tecla Metzel of Kane County Animal Control.
Is there such a thing as the “perfect dog?”
The answer to that question is easy. It’s “yes, of course!”
It’s the one trained by you, loved by you and one that willingly walks alongside you as he or she takes part in your everyday adventures.
It takes a lot of effort, trust and commitment to mold a dog into “the perfect one.” The process is time consuming and all encompassing.
Everyone in the family needs to be part of the dog’s learning curve so he knows the expectations and boundaries of the family. Schedules for walking the dog, nap time, breakfast and dinner time need to be set and adhered to by everyone so the dog knows the guidelines as well as what his role is in the family.
Too many people leave their new pet to their own devices, forgetting to administer to his or her needs or give them boundaries. Over time, the dog will become unruly, undisciplined and more difficult to train. It’s similar to turning a child loose to grow up on their own without teaching them how to live in the world.
Portillo is on his way to becoming a “perfect” dog for his new owner. He just needs that one owner willing to give him the kind of attention and training he needs.
A 1-year-old neutered yellow Labrador retriever-mix, Portillo is definitely Labrador-charming as well as handsome. When he meets you, he will attempt to jump on you with all of his might because he is so excited to meet you.
Portillo prefers to live an active lifestyle rather than a sedentary one. He is all energy and wants to please everyone. Playing all day every day is his whole purpose in life. His new dog parents can use his willingness to please to fortify his training and encourage positive behavior.
Because he is so active, the shelter staff recommends that he goes to a home with experienced dog owners who know how to harness his energy.
He seems to do well with other dogs as long as they don’t mind getting trampled once in a while. And if they are willing to chase him around the yard, even better.
So, is Portillo the perfect dog? The answer will be yes, when he finds his perfect fur-ever family!
Call Ahead For an Appointment!
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 virus situation, KCAC is asking any potential adopters to call ahead and make an appointment to visit any of KCAC’s adoptable animals.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. However, we want to continue to remain vigilant in keeping our employees and county animals as healthy as possible.
How to Adopt
All Kane County Animal Control adoptable cats and dogs are spayed/neutered, microchipped and up-to-date on all vaccines, including rabies. They are tested for feline leukemia/FIV and heartworm.
The adoption fee is $200 for dogs and $100 for cats. Adoption of two dogs is $300, and adoption of two cats is $150.
For more information regarding Kane County Animal Control’s adoptable animals and for an adoption application, please visit www.kanecountypets.org.
About Kane County Animal Control
It is the duty of the Animal Control Department to:
- Ensure that all domesticated dogs and cats over 4 months of age are vaccinated against rabies and have a Kane County rabies tag.
- Ensure that all reported animal bites are given precautionary attention in relation to the possibility rabies infection.
- Ensure that pet owners are instructed on proper procedures pertaining to animal bites and enforce adherence to these procedures.
- Contain loose\stray dogs in unincorporated Kane County and those towns and villages with whom contracted.
- Investigate nuisance dog complaints in unincorporated Kane County and those towns and villages with whom contracted.
Read More POW!
- POW! Say, Cheese! First of 3 Adorable Orange Kittens Available For Adoption at KCAC!
- POW! Add a Little Ginger to Spice Up Your Thanksgiving!
- POW! Sample a Little Sweet Saffron This Holiday Season
- POW! It Doesn’t Take Long To Fall in Love With Belladonna
- POW! Sam Is Ready To Jump Into Your Arms
- POW! Look Up ‘Sweet Dog’ And Your Might Find Sally
- POW! Be Prepared For an Onslaught of Love When You Meet Orion The Hunter