COVID-19 UPDATE: 9 Kane County Deaths Over The Weekend; 32 ICU Beds Left in Region 8; Starting Jan. 15, Insurance Must Cover COVID Home Tests
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: Insurers Required To COVER Home COVID Tests; 5,400 Schools Closed Last Week; Virginia Declares State of Emergency
The seven-day average of newly reported COVID-19 infections in the U.S. is on track to triple the pre-Omicron record set a year ago, when America saw a quarter million daily cases, as concerns grow over access to and reliability of testing both in the U.S. and Europe, where the highly transmissible Omicron variant has also taken root, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared a limited state of emergency Monday as the influx of Omicron cases strain his state’s health care system.
Sweden announced the country will implement an 11 p.m. curfew on hospitality venues, as Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson warned of a “record high spread” of Covid-19 infections in the country, CNN reports.
Cities across Germany braced for major protests against coronavirus restrictions on Monday, and a tough new vaccine requirement came into force in Italy as governments across Europe continued to tighten their rules in a struggle to contain the Omicron variant, the New York Times reports.
COVID OTC Tests Covered By Insurance
Beginning Jan. 15, 2022, individuals with private health insurance coverage or covered by a group health plan who purchase an over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic test authorized, cleared, or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will be able to have those test costs covered by their plan or insurance. Insurance companies and health plans are required to cover eight free over-the-counter at-home tests per covered individual per month.
That means a family of four, all on the same plan, would be able to get up to 32 of these tests covered by their health plan per month. There is no limit on the number of tests, including at-home tests, that are covered if ordered or administered by a health care provider following an individualized clinical assessment, including for those who may need them due to underlying medical conditions.
KANE COUNTY: 9 Additional Deaths Over The Weekend; 2,918 New Cases; Test Positivity Remains at 24.8%
Kane County recorded nine additional COVID-19 deaths over the weekend.
To date, 968 Kane County residents have lost their lives to the virus.
The county recorded 2,918 new cases from Friday to Monday, according to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website. So far, Kane County has recorded 98,216 positive cases.
The county’s seven-day test positivity rolling rate remains at 24.8%, the highest level of the pandemic.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 77,833 New Cases, 207 Deaths Over Weekend; 32 ICU Beds Left in Region 8
The state of Illinois recorded 77,833 new cases and 207 additional COVID-19 deaths over the weekend.
The statewide totals to date are 2,460,270 positive cases and 28,568 deaths since the pandemic began.
According to the IDPH, there are 32 ICU beds available in Kane and DuPage counties combined, or about 10% of capacity. There are 276 ventilators available out of a total 576, according to the IDPH.
Some good news is that Kane-DuPage Region 8’s seven-day test positivity rate dropped a bit, to 21.8% as of Sunday. It had reached a high of 22.4% the previous day.
Some slim but added good news is that the rate of increase in hospitalizations slowed a bit. The seven-day average number of hospitalizations increased by 13 to 755 on Sunday. On the previous Sunday, it had increased by 29.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page