COVID-19 UPDATE: 7 Kane Deaths in 1 Day; 38,048 New Cases Statewide; Some Signals of Omicron Plateau
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: Supreme Court Nixes Vax Mandate For Businesses; U.S. Government Will Distribute N95 Masks; Warning About Certain At-Home Tests
The Supreme Court has stopped the Biden administration from enforcing a requirement that employees at large businesses be vaccinated against COVID-19 or undergo weekly testing and wear a mask on the job, WGN reports, as well as many others. At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health care workers in the U.S.
President Joe Biden announced Thursday that the government will double to 1 billion the rapid, at-home COVID-19 tests to be distributed free to Americans, along with the most protective N95 masks, as he highlighted his efforts to “surge” resources to help the country weather the spike in coronavirus cases, the Associated Press reports.
The Food and Drug Administration is warning people and laboratories to stop using a specific brand of COVID-19 antigen and antibody tests. It said the tests haven’t been authorized and present a “high risk of false results.” The tests are the LuSys Laboratories COVID-19 Antigen Test (Nasal/Saliva) and the LuSys Laboratories COVID-19 IgG/IgM Antibody Test. The FDA said they may be sold under the company names Luscient Diagnostics or Vivera Pharmaceuticals or with the trade name EagleDx.
A study looking at health data across the entire population of Scotland found that pregnant women who had not been vaccinated against and caught the disease were much more likely to suffer severe complications — for themselves and their infants — than those who had been vaccinated and got COVID. Yet despite the , vaccination rates among pregnant women remained much lower compared to the general population.
Poorer nations last month rejected more than 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines distributed by the global programme COVAX, mainly due to their rapid expiry date, a UNICEF official said on Thursday. (Reuters report)
KANE COUNTY: 1,191 New Cases, 7 additional Deaths; Test Positivity Rate Declining
Kane County suffered another really tough day during the pandemic when seven additional deaths were reported by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The seven deaths brings Kane County’s coronavirus death toll to 980.
The county registered 1,191 new cases, bringing the total to 101,893 positive cases since the pandemic began.
The county’s seven-day test positivity rate dropped again, a possible indication that the Omicron virus has plateaued. The seven-day rolling rate is still high, however, at 22.2%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 38,048 New Cases, 142 Deaths; ICU Beds Starting To Rebound
The state of Illinois recorded another 38,048 new cases and 142 deaths today, according to data posted by the IDPH.
That brings the statewide totals to 2,560,001 positive cases and 28,946 deaths since the pandemic began.
Some better news is that COVID-19 hospitalization increases have slowed and the number of available ICU beds increased today, although they are still at a low number.
The IDPH says there are now 30 available ICU beds in Kane and DuPage counties combined. That’s four higher than the number of available ICU beds two days ago. There are 326 ICU beds in Kane-DuPage Region 8.
The IDPH says 291 of 576 ventilators in Region 8 are available.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page