COVID-19 UPDATE: 46 ICU Beds Remaining in Kane-DuPage Region 8; Kane Records 3,393 New Cases Since Thursday; Kane Test Positivity 20.9%
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: FDA Expands Boosters To Teens; 100,000 Now Hospitalized in U.S.; Schools Closed in Detroit
The Food and Drug Administration on Monday expanded the emergency use authorization of a booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine to include youths 12 to 15.
More than 100,000 people are currently hospitalized with COVID-19 in the U.S. for the first time in nearly four months, according to the latest data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Fort Lauderdale’s Holy Cross Health was forced to temporarily close its labor and delivery unit over the weekend as the hospital experiences a rapid rise of COVID-19 infections, among not just patients but its own staff, The Hill reports.
Public schools in Detroit are closed Monday through Wednesday as the city faces an all-time high Covid-19 infection rate, according to a letter sent to parents Friday from superintendent Nikolai Vitti.
Chicago teachers may refuse to work in-person in schools starting Wednesday over concern about COVID-19 spread in schools, Block Club Chicago reports.
KANE COUNTY: Test Positivity Catapults To 20.9%; 3,393 New Cases, 2 Additional Deaths Since Thursday
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate reached a new high in this phase of the pandemic, catapulting to 20.9%, according to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
That number is hard to get your head around. The state’s threshold is 8%, and during past mitigation efforts was enough to send a region into mitigations under the Restore Illinois plan.
The IDPH last posted COVID data on Thursday, Dec. 30. Since then, Kane County added 3,393 positive cases, bringing the total to 89,682 positive cases since the pandemic began.
Two Kane County residents lost their lives to COVID-19 over the same four-day period. The total number of Kane County residents who have died from COVID-19 is 950.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 189,195 New Cases, 177 Deaths Over Holiday Weekend; 46 ICU Beds Left in Region 8
The state of Illinois recorded 189,195 positive COVID-19 cases and 177 deaths since Thursday.
The totals to date are 2,238,743 positive cases and 27,998 deaths since the pandemic began.
The Illinois Department of Public Health reports 6,294 were hospitalized with COVID-related illness as of yesterday, the highest number of hospitalizations since the pandemic began, WGN reports.
In Kane-DuPage Region 8, there are 46 ICU beds available out of 323. There are 294 ventilators available out of 576, according to the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page.
Region 8’s seven-day test positivity rate is 19.4%.
The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Region 8 is 416 patients.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page