COVID-19 UPDATE: 198 Illinois Deaths Thursday; Region 8 ICU Beds Drop To 32; WHO Says Pandemic ‘Nowhere Near Over’
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: WHO Says Pandemic ‘Nowhere Near Over’; 1/4 of All U.S. COVID Cases Reported in Last Month; Hopes of Herd Immunity Fading; Many Vax Side Effects Caused By Placebo Effect
More than a quarter of total COVID-19 cases in the United States have been reported in the past month during the Omicron surge, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. has recorded nearly 69 million total COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic, and nearly 18 million of them have been reported over the past month.
The World Health Organization’s director-general said the COVID-19 pandemic is “nowhere near over,” adding that the next few weeks will be critical for strained health care workers. Omicron is continuing to infect the world at a startling speed, with more than 18 million cases reported last week alone, according to WHO and reported by CNN.
The Omicron variant, which is spreading far faster than previous versions of the coronavirus, is not likely to help countries achieve so-called herd immunity against COVID-19, in which enough people become immune to the virus that it can no longer spread, leading disease experts say. According to a Reuters analysis, hopes of herd immunity dimmed as the coronavirus mutated into new variants in quick succession over the past year.
New data from a comprehensive meta-analysis suggests there is little to fear from COVID-19 vaccinations and that a large number of side effects reported by patients after receiving their shot can be attributed to the placebo effect, ABC News reports.
KANE COUNTY: 770 New Cases, 2 Deaths; Test Positivity Ticks Up
At this stage of the Omicron surge, we expect to see case counts drop each day, but COVID-19 deaths remain high and continue to bring sad news — including the recent death of a second Aurora police officer who died from the respiratory virus.
Today, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported 770 new COVID-19 cases in Kane County and two additional deaths of Kane County residents.
The 770 new cases is the lowest single-day total for Kane County in more than three weeks.
The Kane County totals to date are 109,013 positive cases and 995 COVID-19 deaths since the pandemic began.
After dropping for a few days, Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rolling average increased to 19.4%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 23,246 New Cases, 198 Deaths; Down To 32 ICU Beds in Region 8
Single-day case counts went down but deaths went up in data reported today by the IDPH.
Statewide, there were 23,246 new cases and 198 additional deaths, bringing the totals to 2,732,720 positive cases and 29,708 deaths since the pandemic began.
In Region 8, made up of Kane County and DuPage County, the state is reported just 38 open ICU beds out of a total 323. IDPH had reported 49 available Region 8 ICU beds yesterday.
The Region 8 seven-day test positivity rate increased slightly to 17.1%.
The region is averaging 778 COVID-19 patients in Kane and DuPage hospitals over the past seven days.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page