COVID-19 UPDATE: 1,906 Kane County Cases, 23.9% Test Positivity; ‘Flurona’ Becoming More Frequent; 7,098 Illinoisans Hospitalized
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: 9.5 Million Cases in 1 Week Worldwide; ‘Flurona’ Becoming More Frequent; Deer Could Be Virus Reservoir
Global coronavirus infections have reached a pandemic high, with 9.5 million new cases reported last week, the World Health Organization said Thursday. That figure represented a 71% increase over the previous week and is probably an undercount, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.\
Wild deer in six northeast Ohio locations were discovered infected with at least three virus variants of COVID-19, a team of Ohio State University researchers has reported. Researches are concerned that deer might become a reservoir for the virus.
The city of Los Angeles is safe, assured Mayor Eric Garcetti, despite COVID-19 infections hitting over 800 fire and police department staff, CNN reports.
While rates of COVID-19 remain high across the country, flu clusters are beginning to pop up as well. And with both illnesses spreading, the possibility of getting a co-infection involving both of them — nicknamed “flurona” — is also becoming more of a possibility.
KANE COUNTY: 1,906 New Cases, 2 Additional Deaths; 23.9% Test Positivity
Kane County recorded 1,906 new COVID-19 cases — another record high — and two additional deaths today.
The countywide totals since the pandemic began are 93,750 positive cases and 956 deaths, according to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate rose again and is now at 23.9%, also believed to be the highest during the pandemic.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 44,089 New Cases, 104 Deaths Recorded Today; 7,098 Illinoisans Hospitalized
State health officials today reported 7,098 COVID-19 patients were being treated in Illinois hospitals, 256 more than the previous day.
In Kane-DuPage Region 8, there are 42 ICU beds and 254 ventilators available.
Cases shot up by almost 12,000 in one day, with Illinois reporting 44,089 new cases and 109 additional deaths.
It’s the first time more than 100 COVID-19 deaths have been recorded in a single day since Feb. 11, 2021, according to the Daily Herald.
To date, the state has recorded 2,339,534 positive cases and 28,260 COVID-19 deaths.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page