COVID-19 UPDATE: 103,000 Americans Hospitalized; 24,423 New Illinois Cases; Kane Test Positivity 21.7%; 43 ICU Beds Left
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: U.S. Topped 1 Million Cases Monday; 103,000 Americans Hospitalized; 1,100 Boston Teachers Call In Sick
The U.S. topped the 1 million mark in new coronavirus cases for the first time Monday, a figure that was likely enhanced by holiday weekend backlogs but still obliterated the previous record of 591,000 set Thursday, USA Today and others report.
About 1 in every 100 Americans will have contracted the virus in just the last week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
More than 103,000 Americans were hospitalized with COVID-19 on Monday, according to Washington Post figures, the highest number since late summer, when the delta variant of the coronavirus triggered a nationwide surge in cases.
CDC Media Statement on Reducing Booster Time To 5 Months
Today, CDC is updating our recommendation for when many people can receive a booster shot, shortening the interval from six months to five months for people who received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
This means that people can now receive an mRNA booster shot five months after completing their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series. The booster interval recommendation for people who received the J&J vaccine (two months) or the Moderna vaccine (six months), has not changed.
Additionally, consistent with prior recommendation for adults, CDC is recommending that moderately or severely immunocompromised 5– to 11-year-olds receive an additional primary dose of vaccine 28 days after their second shot. At this time, only the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is authorized and recommended for children aged 5-11.
Additionally, FDA took action this week to authorize boosters for 12- to 15-year-olds.
CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said the CDC will continue to update recommendations.
“Today’s recommendations ensure people are able to get a boost of protection in the face of Omicron and increasing cases across the country, and ensure that the most vulnerable children can get an additional dose to optimize protection against COVID-19,” she said. “If you or your children are eligible for a third dose or a booster, please go out and get one as soon as you can.”
KANE COUNTY: 961 New Cases, 0 Additional Deaths; 21.7% Test Positivity
Kane County added 961 COVID-19 cases but to deaths today, according to data posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The total number of Kane County positive cases passed the 90,000 mark today and is now at 90,653. To date, 950 Kane County residents have died from the virus.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate rose again and is now at 21.7%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 24,423 New Cases, 79 Deaths Tuesday; 43 ICU Beds Remain in Region 8
Illinois recorded 24,423 new COVID-19 cases today, as well as 79 additional deaths..
To date, the state has recorded 2,263,166 positive cases. Illinois today passed 78,000 deaths. The total is 78,077 since the pandemic began.
Kane-DuPage Region 8 has 43 available ICU beds at this time, according to data posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health. There are 576 ventilators in Region 8, 273 of which are available.
Region 8’s seven-day rolling average of test positivity increased to 20.8%. That compares to a statewide positivity rate of 13.2%.
The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 hospitalizations rose again, and is now at 640.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page