COVID-19: U.S. Hospitalizations Hit New High; Region 8 ICU Beds Down to 26; Kane County Nears 100,000 Positive Cases
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERIEW: U.S. Hospitalizations Hit New High; CDC Reports 1.4 Million New U.S. Cases Monday; Chicago Distributing 1.9 Million N95 Masks
More than 145,900 people were in US hospitals with COVID-19 as of Tuesday — a number that surpasses the previous peak from mid-January 2021 (142,246), and is almost twice what it was two weeks ago, according to data from the Department of Health and Human Services.
The United States reported 1.35 million new coronavirus infections on Monday, according to a Reuters tally, the highest daily total for any country in the world as the spread of the highly contagious Omicron variant showed no signs of slowing, Reuters reports.
The Chicago Department of Public Health is distributing 1.9 million KN95 masks into communities this week. According to the department’s commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady, they have more than 100 community-based organizations, such as churches and libraries, helping to distribute the masks, which are an upgrade from many of the cloth masks out there. Chicago school leaders and the teachers union have finally reached an agreement that will see students returning to classrooms this week.
More Michigan children have been hospitalized with COVID-19 in the last couple weeks than at any point in the pandemic, Michigan Live reports. As of Friday, there were 135 pediatric patients, accounting for about 2.8% of COVID patients with confirmed or suspected cases in Michigan hospitals.
Scientists are seeing signals that COVID-19′s alarming omicron wave may have peaked in Britain and is about to do the same in the U.S., at which point cases may start dropping off dramatically, the Associated Press reports. The reason: The variant has proved so wildly contagious that it may already be running out of people to infect, just a month and a half after it was first detected in South Africa.
KANE COUNTY: 1,119 New Cases, 2 Deaths; Test Positivity Drops to 24.1%
Kane County is nearing some plateaus few people expected to see during the course of the pandemic, with the likely passing of 100,000 positive cases tomorrow and a death toll the creeps ever nearer to 1,000.
According to data posted today on the Illinois Department of Public Health website, Kane County recorded 1,119 new COVID-19 cases and two additional deaths.
The Kane County totals since the pandemic began are 99,335 positive cases and 970 deaths.
Kane County’s seven-day rolling average of test positivity dropped to 24.1% today.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 28,110 New Cases, 92 Deaths; Region 8 ICU Beds Down To 26
The number of available ICU beds in Kane-DuPage Region 8 dropped to 26 today, according to data on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
According to the IDPH, there are 323 ICU beds in total in the two counties.
The IDPH says 286 of 576 ventilators are available in Region 8.
Statewide, there were 28,110 new COVID-19 cases and 92 additional deaths recorded today. It’s hard to believe that might be considered good news, but it is a considerable drop from the 42,903 new cases and a slight drop from the 100 deaths recorded on Friday.
To date, there have been 2,488,380 positive cases and 28,660 deaths attributed to the coronavirus in Illinois.
More good news is that the seven-day test positivity rate dropped today, although it is still extremely high at 21.2%.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page
- Click this link for the IDPH’s COVID-19 Hospital Resource Utilization page