- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series on Kane County’s amazing history. Today’s article was written and researched by Museum Educator Rebecca Miller and Museum Researcher David Siegenthaler. Image are from the collection of the Elgin History Museum.
Photos we take today are digitally stamped with the date. What a time saver! An important piece of information is saved for the ages.
This wasn’t always the case, of course. But an eagle-eyed fan of history can still look for clues in an old photo and figure out when the image was captured.
This photo is of Chicago Street, looking east. The bridge is about a half block behind the photographer, John Manley Adams.
Notice the wooden sidewalks and unpaved street. Elgin’s first sidewalks were rough wooden planks; they were replaced with concrete beginning in 1881, but the process was slow.
In 1900, Chicago Street was paved with bricks and the city began asphalt street paving in 1903; starting with Grove Avenue. Since the sidewalk here is wooden and the street is unpaved, we can narrow down the date of this photo to sometime before 1900 but a good student of history can go further.
Notice the light-colored flag pole on the right side of the photo, just past the open topped farm wagon. It rises above all the nearby rooftops and was known as the “Liberty Pole”.
While an electric arc light tower was installed in Fountain Square in 1883, we know this is a flag pole; the electric arc light tower was distinctly shaped with lattice work that would be visible from this view.
When it was installed, the Fountain Square electric arc light tower was put on the same spot as this flag pole. With this information, we know that the photo was taken prior to 1883 when the flagpole was replaced with the electric arc tower.
We could stop here and say this photo was taken prior to 1883, but there is another clue hidden on the horizon.
Notice the two church steeples on either side of Chicago Street, far in the distance. The church on the left is at 270 E. Chicago Street and was a Baptist Church. That church was built in 1870 and still stands today, though it lost its steeple in the 1920 tornado.
With this info we know the photo was taken after 1870, giving us a date for the photo of 1870-1883.
We are not done yet! The biggest clue is the church steeple on the other side of the street. These two churches were not directly across the street from each other; the picture’s perspective just forms this illusion.
The church steeple on the right was a couple of blocks closer to the photographer and was located at 225-229 E. Chicago Street.
Notice that the church on the right is under construction; the scaffolding can be seen alongside the steeple. This church, the First Presbyterian Church, was built beginning in 1871 and was completed by July 1872.
Only five months after its completion, the church caught fire for unknown reasons. On Dec. 5, 1872 the entire church burned down. After having spent a great deal of their funds on the original church, the congregation could only afford to build a smaller church around the corner on the adjoining lot at 10 Villa Court.
The new First Presbyterian Church was completed in 1873, but it did not have the grand steeple of its predecessor. The shape of the 1873 church is still evident today, as 10 Villa Court now serves as the home of Elgin’s Knights of Columbus Council Hall.
With an eagle eye and these clues we can say, with certainty, when photographer John Manley Adams captured this image. The photo was taken in the brief window of time between the construction of the First Presbyterian Church in July 1872 and the fire that destroyed it on Dec. 5, 1872.
West Side of The Fox River, Looking East
This photo was taken from the west side of the Fox River, looking east.
Our clues in dating this photo begin with the bridge shown, the Chicago Street bridge. This alone does not tell us much, however, since we have had a bridge at Chicago Street since 1837.
The original Chicago Street bridge was built by town founder James T. Gifford. It was replaced several times due to normal wear and tear and damage in Spring flooding.
Between 1866 and 1881 the bridge at Chicago Street was built in the “Truesdell Style”. The Truesdell years are a story of their own; suffice it to say that the Truesdell style bridge(s) had a habit of collapsing.
The Truesdell bridge(s) featured arched stone footings rising out of the river, topped with ornate iron scrollwork railings. They may not have been reliable or safe, but they were beautiful. The bridge shown is clearly not a Truesdell bridge.
Ultimately, the Truesdell years came to a close in 1881, when the Spring flood washed out the last version of the Truesdell bridge at Chicago Street.
Following this flood, the Chicago Street bridge was rebuilt by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul & Pacific Railway. The railway put up a simple wooden bridge to serve the community in the immediate aftermath of the flood. It would not be replaced with an attractive bridge until 1900.
With this evidence we can say that this photo was taken between 1881 and 1900.
Our next clue comes from the large factory shown along the river on the left side of the photo. This building was built as a woolen mill in the 1840s but in 1882 the David C. Cook Publishing Company moved in; notice their name on the side of the building.
The D.C. Cook company moved to Grove Avenue in 1901 and the company’s former building became the YMCA. With these clues, we can say this image was taken between 1882 and 1901.
Another clue comes from something NOT shown in this photo. In 1889 David C. Cook built a three-story brick building next to the factory in the photo. It was known as the “Marguerite Block” and was named for his wife. That building, when viewed from the perspective of this photo, would have been directly in front of the Cook building.
With this information, we know this photo was taken between 1882 and 1888.
National Street Bridge
This photo shows the National Street bridge, looking east. It is marked “Noon hour lunch break at (the Elgin National) watch factory.”
The first clue for dating this photo is seen in the distance across the bridge. Two electric street cars are shown midway up National Street. Electric street car service began in 1890. With this info we can say the photo was taken after 1890.
Elgin would see its first locally owned automobile in 1902 and within 10 years cars were a common sight and fewer horse-drawn buggies were seen on our streets. But, certainly, the change did not happen overnight.
Our next clue is seen on the far right of the photo; it is the Elgin National Watch Company’s clock tower. This clocktower was replaced in 1904; allowing us to date this photo to a period between 1890 and 1904.
Our final clue is the bridge itself. The National Street bridge, originally built in 1870, was an iron latticework structure with criss-crossing support beams across the top above the roadway.
That bridge was replaced in 1902 with an open topped structure that did not require that form of reinforcement, the bridge seen here. Thus we have narrowed the date of this photo to be from 1902 to 1904.
Posters of these images are available for sale in the museum gift shop for $5. Imagine the fun you could have walking your friends through the clues in this photo.
About The Elgin History Museum
The Elgin History Museum is housed in an 1856 landmark building known as Old Main that was once part of the Elgin Academy campus. The Elgin Area Historical Society, which was founded in 1961, is a thriving organization that operates within the museum. The society has a board of directors with a mission that is driven to preserve and educate the community about Elgin history.
The Elgin History Museum is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Two floors of Elgin history exhibits pull you back in time to remember how the community developed from 1835 to today.
For more information, visit elginhistory.org.
Read The Kane County History Series!
- 1850-1925 Geneva — When Penmanship Was Mightier Than The Sword
- St. Charles Museum Site — From Serving Gas To Preserving History
- Elgin Puts 3,500 Priceless Photos Online
- Batavia-Inspired Miniatures Thrilled a Nation
- Aurora’s Maud Powell, World Famous Violinist
- Waxing Nostalgic on Geneva’s WGSB, WFXW
- American Doughboys of WWI — in St. Charles, IL
- Experience High-Tech History at April 21 ‘Open Elgin’ Event
- Batavia, IL — ‘Windmill Capital of The World’
- Meet Andy Aurora, Man About Town
- Celebrating The 50th Anniversary of 9-1-1 in Geneva
- Blue Goose And Evergreen Pub — ‘Shop Local’ 90 Years In The Making
- Elgin Is The Apple of Illinois Bicentennial’s Eye
- Nordens Soner And Batavia’s Swedish Society
- Aurora’s Melting Pot ‘Yearning To Breathe Free’
- Candles, Timing Devices, Phonographs And The ‘Life Cup’ — All Things Made in Geneva
- Hotel Baker, The ‘Masterpiece’ of The Fox Valley
- Elgin Celebrates Our Once-Burgeoning Dairy Business
- Reflections of Batavia’s Quarry Beach Pool
- Aurora’s Mabel O’Donnell, Author of “Alice And Jerry’ Books
- As Alice (Davis) Says, ‘Schools Out For Summer!’
- Elgin Watches, ‘The World’s Standard’
- Aurora Silverplate a Symbol of Good Taste
- Women Leaders Played Huge Roles in Geneva
- Nationally Renowned Summer Camp in St. Charles
- The Harrowing Story of William Lynch, Elgin’s Civil War Brigadier General
- Batavia Powered The Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway
- Corsets Doing Big Business in Aurora? Scandalous!
- One Block of Geneva Tells 1,001 Fantastic Stories
- St. Charles’ Evergreen Pub — The ‘Before’ Photos
- 1917-18 — When Elgin Artists Went to War
- Thomas Cleveland — Batavia’s Presidential Connection
- Do Your Wurst — Aurora Meat Markets Are ‘In’ Again
- Geneva Is The Place For Graveyards And Ghosts
- Visit Amelia Anderson At St. Charles’ North Side Cemetery
- Calling All Artists! … For a Cobblestone Reflection in Elgin
- Batavia’s 108-Year-Old Gazebo Still Lights The Way
- The Compelling, Tragic Story of Aurora’s Black WWI Hero Frank Boger
- Geneva History Museum Invites Artists To Celebrate Cultural Heritage
- Elgin’s Anson Clark Soared in The Great War … And Life
- What It Meant To Be a Patrol Boy and Louise White School
- ‘Men’s Night’ Christmas Shopping Was a 1950’s Aurora Phenomenon
- St. Charles Remembers Colson’s Christmas-Day Fire of ’33
- The Art of Elgin’s Cobblestone Reflections
- When Suffrage Met Prohibition in Batavia
- Geneva Presents The Art of The Fox River
- Blansford Astronomical Clock Is Aurora’s Treasure
- St. Charles Returns Family Heirlooms From WWII
- Museum Lands Painting By Elgin Artist Albert Kenney
- Cars Still Fixed at Historic Location in Downtown Batavia
- A Bird’s-Eye View of 19th Century Geneva
- Sheldon Peck: Kane County’s Connection To The Underground Railroad
- Elgin High School Celebrates 150 Years of ‘Education For All’
- Batavia’s Incredible Roller Skating History
- The Fabled History of Jewelry Stores in Geneva
- Astonishing Buried Treasure Discovered in Aurora Outhouse
- Lincoln Elementary School in St. Charles Celebrates 90 Years of Education
- Remembering Elgin High Grad, Renowned Composer Daniel Brewbaker, 1951 – 2017
- Meet Batavia’s Sharron Moran, LPGA Star, ‘Most Beautiful Golfer’ of 1966
- The Many Iterations of Geneva’s National Food Store
- The Burlington Zephyr — A ‘Silver Streak’ Through Aurora
- What IS That Thing in Downtown St. Charles?
- 18 Events, Limited-Edition Poster For Preservation Month in Elgin!
- Julius Amandus Anderson’s WWI Memorial Trapunto Banner
- Geneva’s Swedish Days Celebrates Its 70th Anniversary
- The Historic Drive To Save Aurora’s GAR Hall
- The Story of St. Charles’ Paddlewheel Riverboats
- Meet Elgin’s Legendary Marshal — Andrew Barclay Spurling
- Jackie DeShannon ‘Put A Little Love’ In Batavia
- Aurora’s William S. Hart, Cowboy Movie Star
- St. Charles’ First Settlers, One Lost, Found Again
- Discover The Elgin Stories All Around You
- Batavia’s WWI French Connection
- Amazing Stories Behind Geneva’s Extraordinary Parks
- Roots Aurora Seeks 2019 Nominations For Aurora Cultural Champions
- Newly Renovated Thompson Middle School Retains Memories of St. Charles High
- Elgin’s Bluff City Cemetery Memorializes City’s Past
- Batavia Connection to 1969 Moon Landing
- Geneva Company Made Huge Contribution to Art Deco
- East Vs. West 1914 — Aurora’s Greatest Football Game
- North, Union Cemeteries Are St. Charles’ Hallowed Grounds
- Elgin Temperance Crusaders Take Hatchet To Beer Fans
- Ever Heard of Clybourneville? (Hint: It’s Now in Batavia)
- Geneva Ghost Stories Rise From Former Hospital Site
- Aurora Tells The Cows To Shut Up
- Baby Face Nelson And 100 Years of St. Charles Boys School ‘Good, Bad And Ugly’
- Behold The Telegraph, Elgin’s First Digital Communication!
- Mary Bailey, Batavia’s Trailblazing Woman Lawyer
- Holiday Traditions, Historic Creche at Geneva History Museum
- Welcome To Thanksgiving Dinner at Aurora’s Tanner House
- St. Charles’ Whiskey Bend Signaled Boom Time For Taverns
- From Elgin Watch Cases To 4.2 Mortar Shells
- Lorraine James’ Art Leaves Lasting Impression on Batavia
- Geneva Remembers The Tornado of 1967
- New Year’s Calling in Aurora
- Newly Digitized Footage Documents Construction of St. Charles Municipal Building
- ‘New Year’s Calling’ in Aurora Was The Online Dating of Late 1800s
- A Woman’s Right To Vote — In Elgin
- How The Household Journal Came To Batavia
- Geneva’s East Side — From Dodson To Dog ‘N’ Suds
- On Leap Year, ‘She-Wolves of Aurora’ Have ‘Gender-Swapping Fun’
- Mary Todd Lincoln, Batavia Resident
- The Women Who Broke Codes at Riverbank Labs in Geneva
- Turn Around in Aurora And You’ll Bump Into a Luxembourger
- Geneva History Museum Offers COVID-19 Journal
- Aurora’s Amazing Family Portrait Exhibit ‘A Brilliant Idea’
- How St. Charles Survived The Spanish Flu in 1918
- Elgin Epidemics — COVID-19 Is Not The First To Bring Suffering, Sorrow
- Geneva Museum Passes Milestone
- Aurora’s African-American Police Officers
- Garner Family Is St. Charles’ Juneteenth Celebration Story
- Notable Black Americans From Elgin, IL
- Black Batavians Played Key Roles in History
- Geneva History Museum Reveals Archive Redesign
- Family Secrets — Historian Finds 1866 ‘I Love … ‘ Message Scratched in Tanner House Window
- Cut Glass Was Booming During Roaring 20s in St. Charles
- Elgin Remembers Devastating Palm Sunday 1920 Tornadoes
- Batavians Find Treasure in 150-Year-Old Privies
- Geneva Hosts Virtual Night at The Museum
- Visit Aurora’s Tanner House — With a Click of The Mouse
- Elgin Cemetery Walk Is Virtual Travel Through Time
- James Prindle Jr.’s Roll Top Desk Returns To Batavia
- 60 Years Ago, Kennedy Campaigned in Geneva
- Aurora’s 1894 Central Station Proud Home of Regional Fire Museum
- Secret Symbolism in Elgin’s Bluff City Cemetery
- Meet The Doctors Who Shaped St. Charles’ History
- Batavia Inventor Paul Hassler And His Arithstyle Adding Machine
- The ‘Background’ on Geneva’s Famous Creche
- Aurora Soldier’s Diary Reveals Gripping Story of War, Love, Pain And Heroism
- St. Charles’ Delnor Hospital — A Thanksgiving Gift in 1940
- Meet Elgin’s Mary Muirhead of The WWI Army Nurse Corps
- Geneva’s Holiday Giving Tradition Continues Despite Pandemic
- Remembering The Days When Aurorans Cut Ice on The Fox River
- Arcada Plans Next Chapter of Its St. Charles Story
- Christmas Memories in Elgin
- A Brief History of The Batavia Historical Society
- Order Your Geneva Home By Mail — Right From the Catalog!
- Aurora’s Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Winter of 1918
- St. Charles’ Response to COVID-19 Sparks Memories of WWII
- Elgin’s Black Soldiers Proudly Served in U.S. Armed Forces
- Amazing Stories of Batavia’s Thriving Black Community Date Back To 1855
- Step Back in Time to See ‘HerStory’ in Geneva
- Aurora Will Never Forget The Great Flood of 1857
- When Cars Came To Elgin, Tragedy Followed
- Batavia’s Female Athletes Fought To Play The Games They Love
- Take a Tour of Geneva Art History!
- Play Ball! Hall of Famer Casey Stengel Among the Greats to Round The Bases in Aurora
- St. Charles History Hustle Pays Homage to Long-Lost Sport of Competitive Walking
- Elgin’s History Is Written in Street Signs
- Batavia Museum Finds Treasure in Capt. Carr’s Spyglass
- Celebrate 185 Years of Kane County Courthouse in Geneva
- Meet Aurora’s Peerless Publisher, Olive Beaupre Miller
- Charles Haines — The Man Who Saved St. Charles Schools
- Elgin’s Perry Thomas — From Inventor to Atomic Bomb Photographer
- Take Me Out To The (Batavia American Legion) Ballgame
- Aurora Journalist Randy Shilts Helped Frame Debate About Gay Rights Movement
- Wheeler’s Rolltop Desk Held Secrets of Underground Railroad in St. Charles
- Aviation Began To Take Off at Hoornbeek Airfield in Elgin
- Kane County History: Good Roads Day! Batavia Was The Starting Link of The Lincoln Highway
- Geneva Museum Is Reimagined, Reopened — And Admission Is Free!
- John Rogers’ ‘Council of War’ at Aurora’s Tanner House Museum
- Today’s Drivers Owe Thanks To Elgin Motor Club
- 3 Men Behind Batavia’s Fame as ‘Windmill Capital of The World’
- Grotto on Government Center Campus Is One of Geneva’s Hidden Gems
- The Boys of Summer, Aurora Style
- Elgin Preserves History, Honors Past at Bluff City Cemetery
- Restored Headstones at West Side Cemetery Tell Geneva’s Story
- A Mormon Tale in Aurora, IL
- Batavia Hardware Store Owner Was Early Race-Car Builder
- The Quest To Light Aurora’s Streets
- St. Charles Is Thankful For C.V. Amenhoff And The Legend of Charlemagne
- 3,000 People at a Time Used To Ice Skate in Elgin
- After 70 Years, Batavia Elves Still Making Christmas Brighter
- Astonishing Detail, Symbolism in Geneva’s 18th Century Creche
- Joseph Freeman Stands Among The Giants of Aurora History
- A St. Charles Christmas Story: The Special Gift For Mr. Baker
Sign Up To KCC E-Newsletter