COVID-19 UPDATE: Local ICU Bed Availability Drops to 14%; 11,858 New Cases Statewide, 421 in Kane; UK Case Count Sets Record
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: CDC Panel Says Moderna, Pfizer Preferred Over J&J; UK Reports High Single Day New-Case Total; NYC Cases Double in 3 Days
Vaccine advisers to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention voted 15-0 Thursday to change recommendations to make clear that the COVID-19 vaccines made by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech were preferred over Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine.
The UK reported a record high of 88,376 COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the highest number of daily cases since the pandemic began, CNN reports.
Omicron multiplies 70 times faster within the human bronchus, which delivers oxygen to the lungs, than does the Delta variant and the original virus that was first detected in China, according to a study released Wednesday by the University of Hong Kong.
The percentage of people in New York City testing positive for COVID-19 doubled in three days this week, and a top advisor to Mayor Bill de Blasio said it was an indication of the Omicron variant evading immunity in a way the virus never had before, NBC4 New York reports.
KANE COUNTY: 421 New Cases, 3 Additional Deaths
Kane County recorded 421 new cases and three additional COVID19 deaths today, according to data posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The Kane County totals since the pandemic began are 78,353 positive cases and 929 deaths.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate dropped to 6.9%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 11,858 New Cases, 52 Deaths; ICU Availability Drops To 14%
ICU bed availability in Kane-DuPage Region 8 dropped to 14% today — six percentage points under the state theshold.
Meanwhile, the seven day rolling rate of hospitalized COVID-19 patients grew to 352.
The state recorded 11,858 new cases, one of the highest single-day totals since the pandemic began. To date, there have been 1,933,291 positive COVID-19 cases in Illinois.
The state recorded 52 additional deaths today, bringing the total to 27,065 deaths since the pandemic began.
Vaccination Information Resources
Recent COVID-NET data show that cumulative #COVID19 hospitalization rates are about 12 times higher in unvaccinated adolescents ages 12-17 years compared with fully vaccinated adolescents. Vaccinations are critical to preventing serious illness. More: https://t.co/ikJpMcvyCb pic.twitter.com/6o9p2a71Ql
— CDC (@CDCgov) December 3, 2021
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page