COVID-19 UPDATE: 3,334 New Kane Cases Since Wednesday; Region 8 Test Positivity Jumps to 11.5%; Thousands More Flights Canceled
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: U.S. Cases Up 47% in 1 Week; Thousands More Flights Canceled; 1 in 60 in Manhattan Test Positive
The number of COVID-19 cases reported in the U.S. this week is up 47% from a week earlier, and up 65% from two weeks earlier. Christmas disruptions and limited access to testing mean the real number is likely worse, USA Today reports.
At least 2,600 more flights were canceled Monday, including about 1,000 U.S. flights, as the highly transmissible Omicron variant is sending daily caseloads in parts of the United States soaring to levels higher than last winter’s pandemic peak, the New York Times reports.
The omicron variant has led to an unprecedented spread of COVID-19 in New York City’s central borough, WABC reports. Last week, one in 60 people tested positive for COVID-19 in Manhattan.
In New York, children aged 12 and over are required to show proof of full vaccination to access indoor dining areas and many extra-curricular school activities. The city is also introducing a vaccine mandate for private-sector workers, the first in the U.S. to take such an action, BBC news reports.
As COVID-19 cases continue to surge across the US, the Biden administration is urging school districts to take certain safety measures to ensure classrooms remain open for in-person instruction in the second half of the school year, according to a new resource guide addressed to school leaders, which was obtained by CNN on Monday.
Today’s numbers: The U.S. has reported more than 52.3 million COVID-19 cases and 816,700 deaths, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Worldwide, there have been more than 280.5 million cases and more than 5.4 million deaths. About 73% of people in the U.S. have received at least one vaccine shot, and about 62% are fully vaccinated, according to the CDC. Among U.S. adults, 85% have received at least one shot, and about 73% are fully vaccinated.
KANE COUNTY: 3,334 New Cases, 7 Additional Deaths Since Wednesday; Test Positivity 11.8%
Kane County recorded 3,334 new cases since data was last posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website on Wednesday, Dec. 22. The total since the pandemic began is 83,466 positive cases since the pandemic began.
Kane County recorded seven additional deaths since Wednesday, bring the total to 943 deaths of Kane County residents since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s test positivity rate soared to 11.8% — 3.8% higher than the state threshold.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 55,958 New Cases, 153 Deaths Since Thursday
The state of Illinois recorded 55,958 new cases and 153 additional COVID-19 deaths since Thursday, Dec. 23.
The statewide totals as posted today on the Illinois Department of Public Health website are 2,077,260 positive cases and 27,588 deaths statewide since the pandemic began.
The test positivity rate for Region 8 (Kane County and DuPage County) is 11.5%.
Some good news is that ICU bed availability in Region 8 is back up to 20% — exactly at the state threshold.
Gov. J.B. Pritzker and other health officials are asking Illinois residents to reconsider any significant New Year’s holiday plans that may include large gatherings, the Daily Herald reports.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page