COVID-19 UPDATE: 1,110 New Kane Cases, 5 Deaths Over Weekend; 31,459 New Cases Statewide; WHO Recommends Canceling Holiday Events
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: WHO Recommends Canceling Holiday Events; Quebec Closing Schools; Biden To Address Nation Tuesday
World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday recommended delaying or canceling holiday events.
Quebec will implement new restrictions, closing schools, bars and casinos as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations increase, Quebec’s Health Minister Christian Dubé said during a news conference on Monday. (CNN report)
President Biden will “announce additional steps” in the fight against COVID-19 during his planned remarks about the Omicron variant Tuesday, the White House said, but he won’t necessarily talk about additional restrictions in the face of rising cases.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Monday did not deny that there is a COVID-19 outbreak at the White House, saying breakthrough cases are to be expected even though Biden’s staff is “99%” vaccinated. (Fox News)
As the COVID-19 pandemic has swept the globe, more than 5.3 million people have died from the disease worldwide, including over 807,000 Americans, according to real-time data compiled by Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Systems Science and Engineering.
About 61.4% of the population in the United States is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday that the city is headed toward a “fast and temporary” surge in coronavirus cases and said that 23 testing sites — 20 of them mobile — will be added to the city’s existing 89 testing locations, the Washington Post reports.
KANE COUNTY: 1,110 New Cases, 5 Additional Deaths; Kane Test Positivity 7.5%
Kane County recorded 1,110 new COVID-19 cases and five additional deaths over the weekend, according to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
To date, Kane County has recorded 79,823 positive cases and 935 Kane County residents have died from COVID-19.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate rose to 7.5%, the highest in months.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 31,459 New Cases, 111 Deaths Over The Weekend; Region 8 Test Positivity Soars To 7.2%
Illinois recorded 31,459 new cases and 111 additional deaths over the weekend, as Region 8 test positivity soared to 7.2.
According to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health news release, there have been 1,978,515 positive COVID-19 cases in Illinois and 27,228 Illinoisans have died from the virus since the pandemic began.
In Region 8, comprised of Kane County and DuPage County, there was a dramatic increase in the seven-day test positivity rate, to 7.2%. During previous COVID-19 surges, the state has set 8% as the threshold to put in place additional restrictions for schools and other public gatherings.
Region 8 ICU bed availability remains at 15% — which is 5 percentage points under the state threshold. The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Region 8 rose to 391.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page