Kane County is holding a special recycling event from 8a.m. to noon Saturday, Dec. 4, at the new Recycling Center in Aurora.
Kane County launched the center in June, and it is open year-round five days a week. This event gives residents the opportunity to recycle on a weekend at this location.
Location: 911 N. Lake St., Aurora, IL (turn down driveway on east side of Lake, across from Northgate Shopping Center)
Special Event: 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Dec. 4
Regular Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
Accepted items: Electronics, books, clothing, shoes, appliances, scrap metal, paper, cardboard, shredded paper, aerosol products, and small propane canisters
- Electronics: TVs*, Computers, Monitors*, Laptops, Phones, Cords, Cables, Servers, Printers, Scanners, Keyboards, Stereos, Speakers, Battery backups, Gaming consoles, Power tools, Holiday lights, and more.
- Books: Hard cover or paperback books of any age, in any condition, for reuse or recycling.
- Clothing, Shoes: Clothing items of any kind. Paired shoes of any kind. Accessories, like hats, purses, belts, scarves. Textiles, like sheets, towels, curtains, blankets. These items can be in any condition, even if worn or torn, as long as they are clean. All will be reused or recycled.
- Appliances: Household appliances, like washers, dryers, toasters, blenders, vacuums. Kane County does not take freon-containing devices like refrigerators or air-conditioners.
- Scrap Metal: Anything made of metal, like lawn furniture, BBQs, fire pits, pots and pans, hot water tanks, hardware, metal fencing, bed frames.
- Paper: Magazines, periodicals, brochures, office paper, newspaper, packing paper.
- Cardboard: Corrugated cardboard (flattened).
- Shredded Paper: Shredded paper (in paper bags, stapled shut).
- Aerosol Products: Spray paint, sealer, stains, rust control, insecticide, repellent, pesticide, household cleaners, polishes, disinfectants, protectants, personal care products, for hair, face, and skin, cooking spray, food products, whipped cream, auto lubricant, starter fluid, tar remover, brake cleaner, and inhalers (for asthema).
- Propane Canisters: only the small camp-sized cans are accepted here (14.1 ounce to 16.4 ounce).
Costs: There is a cost to recycle TVs, computers, aerosol cans and propane cannisters, payable by the resident with cash or card. The fee is $25 to recycle TVs or computers with screens under 21 inches (measured diagonally) and $35 for TVs and computers with screens 21 inches or more (measured diagonally). The fee for aerosol cans is $1 per can. The feel for propane recycling is $3.50 per canister. All other items are free to drop off.
Data security: All data stored on computer hard drives will be completely erased or destroyed under the highest security (meeting all FACTA privacy protection requirements). They use the BLANCO data erasure software and the Department of Defense Standard seven-pass kill disk.
This applies to all Kane County Recycling Centers and events, as well as the Naperville site which is also managed and served by eWorks.
Partners: Kane County and eWorks Electronics Services are partnering with Vet Tech US for this special event and for the ongoing services at this location.
Vet Tech is a non-profit organization that supports veterans, individuals, and initiatives dedicated to promoting community development, prosperity, and innovation.
Feature Photo Caption
SOURCE: Kane County Recycles news release