COVID-19 UPDATE: Global Death Toll Tops 5 Million; Kane-DuPage ICU Bed Capacity Drops to Threshold Level; Business Vax Mandates Could Come Soon
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: Global Death Toll Tops 5 Million; Vaccination Mandates For Businesses Could Be Coming Soon; Shanghai Disneyland Suddenly Closes
The global death toll from COVID-19 topped 5 million on Monday, less than two years into a crisis that has not only devastated poor countries but also humbled wealthy ones with first-rate health care systems, the Associated Press reports.
The Federal Register will publish within days the Labor Department’s rule requiring private businesses with 100 or more employees to vaccinate them or test them weekly, fulfilling an announcement President Joe Biden made in September, CNN reports.
Shanghai Disneyland announced suddenly Sunday evening that it was no longer accepting any new visitors and was cooperating with an epidemiological investigation from another province. They then locked down the park as Shanghai city healthcare workers and police rushed to conduct a mass testing of the visitors already inside, WGN reports.
A Cook County judge ruled that the city’s vaccination mandate can remain in place for now, but unionized Chicago Police Department employees can’t face consequences until the policy goes through arbitration, the Chicago Tribune reports.
KANE COUNTY: 211 New Cases, 2 Additional Deaths Since Friday
Kane County recorded 211 new COVID-19 cases and two additional deaths since Friday.
Kane County’s totals to date are 69,350 positive cases and 887 deaths due to COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s seven-day rolling average of test positivity is 2.3%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 6,125 New Cases, 63 Deaths Since Friday; Region 8 ICU Bed Capacity Drops to 20% Threshold
The Illinois Department of Public Health reported 6,125 new cases and 63 deaths over the weekend.
There have been 1,701,649 total COVID cases, including 25,834 deaths in the state since the pandemic began.
The statewide test positivity rate is at 2.3%.
Of some concern is that the IDPH is reporting that Region 8 (Kane County and DuPage County) ICU bed capacity has dropped to 20% — the state’s threshold for bed capacity. The IDPH website does not say why that capacity has continued to drop since Oct. 25.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page