COVID-19 UPDATE: Cases Rising Again in U.S., Illinois; Kane Vax Hub Appointments Now Available For 5-11s
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: Pediatric Vaccine Rollout Begins; WHO Endorses India’s Covaxin COVID-19 Vaccine; Colorado Hospitals Inundated With COVID Cases
Health departments and health providers across the nation began the rollout for the Pfizer-BioNTech pediatric vaccine for children age 5 to 11 today. On Tuesday, CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ recommendation. CDC now expands vaccine recommendations to about 28 million children in the United States in this age group and allows providers to begin vaccinating them as soon as possible.
Walgreens and CVS are now accepting COVID-19 vaccine appointments for children 5 to 11 following the CDC’s sign-off of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for the age group, USA Today reports.
The World Health Organization on Wednesday granted emergency authorization to Covaxin, the first coronavirus vaccine developed in India and to get the designation, the New York Times reports. The WHO decision provides a major boost for Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has stressed his intention of making the country’s pandemic prevention effort self-reliant.
The Colorado Hospital Association announced today that it is activating Tier 3 of the state’s Combined Hospital Transfer Center, The Colorado Sun reports. Hospitals didn’t have to activate Tier 3, the highest level, during even the busiest months of last winter’s COVID surge. The hospital association said the activation is caused by the “monumental strain” on the health care system triggered by the most recent spike in coronavirus cases.
More than 400 animals from 29 countries have been reported infected by the COVID-19 virus, including nearly 300 animals in the United States, as well as thousands of mink in mink farms in the U.S. and abroad, the Centers for Disease Control said in a media statement celebrating the sixth annual One Health Day. The One Health approach is a global campaign that highlights the need for addressing health threats like the COVID-19 pandemic by recognizing the interconnection between people, animals, and the environment.
KANE COUNTY: 51 New Cases, 0 Additional Deaths; Kane Vax Hub Appointments Open Now For Pediatric Vaccinations
There were zero Kane County deaths reported today, welcome news after the past two weeks. Kane County had recorded the deaths of 16 residents in the past 14 days.
There were just 51 new COVID-19 cases today, according to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website. The totals to date are 69,488 positive cases and 888 deaths of Kane County residents since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate increased to 2.4% in data reported today by the IDPH.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 1,746 New Cases, 40 Deaths Recorded Wednesday; Bell Curve For New Cases Trending Up
Is the bell curve for statewide COVID-19 cases starting to turn upward again? Recent data (see screenshot above) indicates a slight increase the new-cases trajectory as November begins.
During the past two seasons of the pandemic, cold-weather months have been associated with increases in case counts, followed about three weeks later with corresponding increase in COVID-19 deaths.
According to the Chicago Tribune, “the Pritzker administration has yet to say how low the metrics need to go before he’d lift the requirement for masks at indoor public settings, and the latest trends add to the murkiness surrounding the endgame of a now 10-week-old (mask) mandate.”
Today, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported 1,746 new cases and 40 additional COVID-19 deaths. The totals are 1,705,777 positive cases and 25,898 deaths statewide since the pandemic began.
Kane-DuPage Region 8 continues to show 19% availability of ICU beds. That’s a percentage point below the state threshold.
So far, there have been 15,821,504 COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in Illinois. That number is expected to rise dramatically in coming days, as recent booster shot and pediatric vaccination approvals have increased demand.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page