COVID-19 UPDATE: 5,714 New Illinois Cases; Kane Test Positivity 6.7%; Stocks Fall on Omicron Concerns; FDA Panel OK’s Antiviral Pill
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: Omicron Has Been Around Awhile; Stocks Fall on Omicron Concerns; FDA Panel OK’s Antiviral Pill
The Omicron variant was found in a test sample from Nov. 19 in the Netherlands, a week before the W.H.O. labeled it a “variant of concern.” Scientists are still unsure where or when Omicron originated, the New York Times reports.
A panel of expert advisers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday narrowly voted to recommend the agency authorize Merck & Co’s (MRK.N) antiviral pill to treat COVID-19, Reuters reports. If the FDA authorizes the drug, it would be the first at-home treatment for the virus nearly two years into the pandemic.
Coronavirus vaccine maker Moderna set off alarm bells in financial markets Tuesday by warning that current vaccines may be less effective at combating the omicron variant compared with previous strains, the Washington Post and Fox News report.
KANE COUNTY: 168 New Cases, 0 Additional Deaths; Test Positivity Up To 6.7%
Kane County recorded 168 new COVID-19 cases but no additional deaths today.
The totals since the pandemic began are 73,056 positive cases and 901 deaths, according to data posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate has increased to 6.7%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 5,715 New Cases, 23 Deaths; Illinois Closely Monitoring Omicron
The state of Illinois recorded 5,714 new COVID-19 cases and 23 deaths today, according to data posted by the IDPH.
To date, there have been 1,809,875 positive cases and 26,414 deaths statewide.
The Kane-DuPage Region 8 hospitalizations continue to go up, now at a seven-day rolling average of 187, but ICU bed capacity is stable, at 25%.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on outbreak locations.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page