COVID-19 UPDATE: 3,005 New Cases Statewide; U.S. Cases Rising in ‘Fifth Wave’; Worldwide Cases Highest Ever
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: U.S. Cases Rising While World Is at Highest Counts of Pandemic; Minnesota’s Rate of Infection Highest in U.S.; U.S. Buying $5 Billion of Pfizer Pills
As you can see by the graphics above (top graphic from the CDC, bottom from the World Health Organization), COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are starting to rise again in what some are calling a fifth wave. But while the numbers fell sharply in the U.S. from Sept. 1 to Oct. 25, the worldwide numbers have risen significantly in recent weeks.
Germany is paving the way for the introduction of tighter restrictions on people who have so far chosen not to be vaccinated against COVID-19, in an effort to control its highest infection levels since the pandemic began, the Guardian reports.
The Biden administration is planning to pay more than $5 billion for a stockpile of Pfizer’s new COVID-19 pill, enough for about 10 million courses of treatment, after the company gears up production next year, according to people familiar with the agreement, the New York Times reports.
The number of people who were hospitalized for eating disorders in the United States doubled during the COVID-19 pandemic, new research shows.
Minnesota’s rate of new infections has been the worst in the nation over the past week, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The state’s seven-day rolling average of positive tests reached 10.3%, putting it into the high-risk category for the first time since last winter, the Associated Press reports.
KANE COUNTY: 119 New Cases, 0 Additional Deaths
Kane County today recorded 119 new cases and no additional deaths, according to date posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The totals for the county since the pandemic began are 70,975 positive cases and 896 deaths.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate continues to rise. It is at 3.6%, according to IDPH data.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 3,005 New Cases, 19 Deaths
The trend at this time is declining death totals and increasing case counts.
Today, the IDPH reported 3,005 new COVID-19 cases and 19 deaths statewide, bringing totals to 1,747,513 positive cases and 26,136 deaths of Illinois residents since the pandemic began.
In Kane-DuPage Region 8, hospitalizations continue to rise, while the availability of ICU beds continues to be slightly over the state threshold of 20%.
As of today, the IDPH is reporting nine dats of COVID-19 patient increases, with Region 8’s seven-day average at 144 patients. ICU bed capacity is at 22%.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page