COVID-19 UPDATE: 14,616 New Cases Statewide Last Week; 28 Million Children Eligible For Vax This Week; 2,000 Tourists Quarantined in China
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: 28 Million Children Could Start Getting Vax This Week; NYC Mandate Starts Monday; Jen Psaki Tests Positive
Approximately 28 million American children will be newly eligible for Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine as soon as this week, if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention clears the shots for those ages 5 to 11.
Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary who earlier in the week said that she would not join President Biden on a diplomatic trip to Europe because of a family emergency, said on Sunday that she tested positive for the coronavirus.
More than 2,000 New York City firefighters have taken sick days over the past week in what city officials describe as a large-scale protest against the city’s COVID vaccine mandate for municipal workers, which goes into effect Monday, the New York Times reports.
On Saturday, New Zealand reported its highest number of new coronavirus cases in a single day: 160, NBC News reports. The South Pacific island nation has been virtually free of the virus for most of the pandemic, eliminating it through a combination of border restrictions, quarantine requirements, testing, contact tracing and extended lockdowns.
OVERVIEW: 2,000 Tourists Quarantined in China; U.S. Buys 50 Million Pfizer Doses; Moderna Announces New Agreement
Factories have reopened and production is steadily picking up in major manufacturing areas of Southeast Asia as COVID-19 cases have dropped in recent weeks, easing some of the supply-chain constraints that companies blame for lost sales, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The U.S. government has purchased an additional 50 million doses of Pfizer and BioNTech’s COVID19 vaccine for younger children, Pfizer said in a news release on Thursday. These additional doses are to “continue to support preparedness for pediatric vaccinations including securing vaccines for children under 5 years of age, should they receive regulatory authorization,” said the release.
More than 2,000 tourists visiting China’s Inner Mongolia region have been sent to hotels to undergo two weeks of quarantine following the detection of new cases of COVID-19 in the area, Fox News reports. The move follows reports of an outbreak of COVID-19 in the vast, lightly populated region that attracts visitors with its mountains, lakes and grasslands.
Moderna announced a new agreement with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to supply an additional 56.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for delivery in the second quarter of 2022, the company said Friday.
KANE COUNTY: 99 New Cases, 2 Additional Deaths Reported Friday
Kane County recorded 99 new cases and two additional COVID-19 deaths today.
According to the IDPH and coronavirus.illinois.gov webpages, Kane County’s totals are 69,139 positive cases and 885 deaths since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate dropped to 2.4%.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 14,616 New Cases, 183 Deaths Over Past Week
Today Dr. Ngozi Ezike led by example in @CityofAuroraIL by receiving her COVID-19 booster shot. Millions are now eligible to receive booster shots, especially as we move into the holiday season. To find your nearest vaccination site visit https://t.co/bgOvjZQmid pic.twitter.com/6scyQ9DIzr
— IDPH (@IDPH) October 28, 2021
The Illinois Senate voted in the waning hours of the fall legislative session Thursday to send Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker a polarizing proposal aimed at preventing people from using a decades-old state law to skirt coronavirus vaccination mandates by citing moral or religious objections, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Meanwhile, the Illinois Department of Public Health today reported 14,616 new confirmed and probable cases of coronavirus disease in Illinois, including 183 additional deaths since reporting last Friday, Oct. 22, 2021. Of Illinois’ total population, 69% has received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose and 54% of Illinois’ total population is fully vaccinated.
Currently, IDPH is reporting a total of 1,695,524 cases, including 25,771 deaths, in 102 counties in Illinois. The age of cases ranges from younger than one to older than 100 years.
Since reporting on Friday, Oct. 22, 2021, laboratories have reported 796,018 specimens for a total of 35,288,616. As of last night, 1,256 individuals in Illinois were reported to be in the hospital with COVID-19. Of those, 281 patients were in the ICU and 133 patients with COVID-19 were on ventilators.
The preliminary seven-day statewide positivity for cases as a percent of total test from October 22-28, 2021 is 1.8%. The preliminary seven-day statewide test positivity from Oct. 22-28, 2021 is 2.2%.
A total of 15,542,790 vaccines have been administered in Illinois as of last midnight. The seven-day rolling average of vaccines administered daily is 49,742 doses. Since reporting on Friday, October 22, 2021, 348,196 doses were reported administered in Illinois.
*All data are provisional and will change. Additional information and COVID-19 data can be found at http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19.
Vaccination is the key to ending this pandemic. To find a COVID-19 vaccination location near you, go to www.vaccines.gov.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Youth And School Data page