UPDATED 10:30AM THURSDAY, SEPT. 2
- Editor’s Note: If you have additional information or updates regarding “what’s open, what’s closed” for the Labor Day weekend in Kane County, please email Kane County Connects Editor Rick Nagel at email@example.com.
What’s closed and what’s open this Labor Day weekend is startlingly familiar — although there are a few notable exceptions.
The “what’s open” is startling in part because, despite the pandemic’s recent resurgence due to the Delta variant, the list of open stores looks very similar to pre-pandemic years. There is, of course, a statewide mask mandate for public indoor facilities, but there are as of now few restrictions for those who are vaccinated and those who mask up.
Some events have had to bow out of “live” gatherings or have scaled back due to the pandemic.
Most notable this weekend is the Fox Valley Folk Music & Storytelling Festival, which would have taken place Sept. 4 through Sept. 6 at Island Park in Geneva. The Folk Festival will not play live, but the show will go on as a “live-streamed festival.” Click on this link for more information on how to tune in and turn on the folk music.
The Elgin Fringe Festival will take place from Sept. 3 to Sept. 12. The Kane County Health Department will be providing free COVID-19 vaccinations at the event.
Also, the Kane Vax Hub at 501 N. Randall Road in Batavia will be closed Saturday, Sept. 4, for the Labor Day weekend. The Vax Hub typically is open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays and from 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
Here’s a look at what’s open and closed in Kane County, IL, on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 6, 2021).
- Many businesses are open on Labor Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. The exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours.
- In many states, liquor stores are closed on Labor Day. However, liquor sale is not state controlled in Illinois, according to legalbeer.com. All sales laws are up to local municipalities. However, sales on Sunday are not allowed until 11 a.m.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week. In Geneva, for example, garbage collection will take place on Friday, Sept. 10, and Saturday, Sept. 11, one day later than normal due to the holiday. For more information about Geneva’s refuse services, visit the city’s website.
Federal Government Offices
- Labor Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County. According to its website, Fermilab is closed to the general public at this time, due to the pandemic.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, Sept. 6, in observance of Labor Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices are closed on Labor Day. Just to be sure, you should check with your local library or park district.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- UPS, FedEx and the United States Postal Service generally do not pick up or deliver on Labor Day. However, the FedEx holiday service schedule does mention some modified hours for FedEx Office and says FedEx Custom Critical is open.
- U.S. Postal Service offices are closed.
- All Kane County public schools have begun the school year but they are closed on Labor Day.
Metra trains are operating on alternate schedules that we are updating regularly to meet increasing demand as the region rebounds from the pandemic. For the current schedules on all lines, click here. For information about Metra’s response to the pandemic, click here. For a dashboard showing crowding trends, click here.
Metra says that up to three children age 11 and under will be able to ride free with an adult through Labor Day as part of the summer expansion of its Family Fares program.