Last One-Stop-Drop Recycling Event of The Year! Latex Paint, Aerosol Products, Propane Canisters, Electronics, Clothing, Books
- Editor’s Note: This article is written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841.
It’s the last one-stop-drop recycling event of the year! Read on and/or click here for all the details, including date, location, and accepted items.
There will be one more document-shredding event on Oct. 23, and the traditional post-Halloween Pumpkin Composting Event on Nov. 6 at Pushing the Envelope Farm, 1700 Averill Road in Geneva — but the Sept. 11 event will be the last chance to recycle electronics, clothing, books, paint and more at a one-stop-drop Saturday event.
The event takes place from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon) Saturday, Sept. 11, at 540 S. Randall Road in St. Charles.
In last week’s Kane County Connect article, we focused on paint recycling at the Sept. 11 event, but you can also recycle all electronics (like TVs, computers, cables, laptops, household appliances), books (of any age in any condition), shredded paper, (contained in a paper bag and stapled shut-deliver to book recycling station) and clothing, which includes any textile in any condition (even worn or torn clothing and towels), and accessories (like purses, belts, and hats).
Please see the links below for full lists of accepted items. And also please note that there are costs for some items, detailed below.
This event is special because of the variety of items you can recycle as well as the simple truth that the next one-stop-drop recycling event won’t take place until mid-2022.
Though this is the last big recycling event of the season, I want to quickly underline that Kane County recycling centers are open year-round — so there are ample opportunities for you to recycle electronics, clothing and books during the cold-weather months.
In fact, a fourth recycling center has been opened in Elburn in addition to the Kane County recycling centers in West Dundee, Batavia, and Aurora.
- CLICK THIS LINK FOR A LIST OF KANE COUNTY RECYCLING CENTER LOCATIONS AND INFO ON WHAT YOU CAN RECYCLE.
One other quick detail about the Sept. 11 recycling event: You CAN recycle shredded paper at the books drop-off point. But the paper has to be already shredded and placed in paper bags (with top rolled and stapled once or twice).
Sept. 11 Recycling Event
- Where: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
- When: 8 a.m. to 12 noon Saturday, Sept. 11
- Accepting: Electronics, Clothing & Textiles, Books, Paint, Aerosol Products and small camp-sized propane canisters.
Costs: payable by the resident by card or exact cash
- TVs and Monitors ($25-35 based on size). All other electronics are free to drop off.
- Latex Paint has a per-can cost: $1 per 1-quart can, $3 per 1-gallon can, $15 per 5-gallon can.
- Aerosol Products $1 per can. See list of accepted materials here.
- Small Propane Canisters $3 per canister.
- Clothing, textiles, books, and non-screen electronics are all free of cost to drop off.
Visit www.countyofkane.org/recycling for details on accepted materials, cost, event address and time.
- New Electronic Waste Center in Elburn Means There Are Now 4 Recycling Locations in Kane County!
- 3 More Recycling Updates! New Services for Businesses, More Options at Recycling Centers, Liquid Paint Recycling!
- September Recycling Event Will Be Last One For Latex Paint, Aerosol Products, Propane Cannisters