COVID-19 UPDATES: Biden To Lay Out New COVID Plan; Mu Variant in 49 States; 12,051 New Cases Over Weekend; Region 8 Hospitalizations Dropping
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
3:15PM TUESDAY, SEPT. 7, 2021
OVERVIEW: Mu Variant in 49 States; Biden To Address Nation Thursday; Idaho Rationing Medical Care
President Joe Biden will deliver remarks on Thursday laying out a six-pronged strategy involving both the public and private sectors in his administration’s latest efforts to stop the spread of the COVID-19 delta variant and boost vaccination rates, USA Today reports.
The mu coronavirus variant has been detected in 49 states and 42 countries, according to estimates, as health officials keep an eye on the strain to see if it becomes dominant, Fox News reports. The strain, also known as B.1.621, was first identified in Colombia in January.
For the first time in Idaho’s history, officials in the state on Tuesday moved to start rationing medical care in some overburdened hospitals grappling with a surge in covid-19 patients, the Washington Post reports.
More than 70 percent of the European Union’s adult population has been fully vaccinated, making it one of the world’s vaccination leaders, the New York Times reports. But vaccination rates in Eastern and Central Europe are all below that average, exposing the bloc to new waves of infections and creating a divide that E.U. officials and experts say could hamper recovery efforts.
KANE COUNTY: 405 New Cases, No Deaths Since Friday; Test Positivity Drops to 4.7%
Kane County recorded 405 new COVID-19 cases and no additional deaths since Friday, according to data posted today by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
That brings the Kane County totals to 64,255 cases and 831 deaths since the pandemic began.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate dropped to 4.7% today — a positive trend over the past four days.
According to the IDPH, 53.98% of Kane County residents are fully vaccinated, about a half percentage point ahead of the state as a whole.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 12,051 New Cases, 76 Deaths Over Labor Day Weekend; Hospitalizations Dropping, ICU Beds Opening Up a Bit
The state of Illinois recorded 12,051 new COVID-19 cases over the long, Labor Day weekend and added 76 deaths, bringing the totals to 1,550,375 positive cases and 24,133 COVID-19 deaths since March 2020.
Some very good news is that the seven-day test positivity rate for Kane-DuPage Region 8 has dropped to 4.8%, hospital ICU beds are opening a bit and the total number of COVID-19 patients has dropped slightly in each of the past five days reported by the IDPH.
ICU bed availability is back to 26%, after holding a few days at 21% — just above the state threshold of 20%.
The seven-day average of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Region 8 dropped to 199. It peaked at 209 on Sept. 1.
Statewide, 6,808,788 Illinoisans are fully vaccinated, accounting for 53.44% of the total population.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System