COVID-19 UPDATE: FDA Backs Pfizer Boosters For 65+, High Risk; 99% of Kane Variants Are Delta; Region 8 Hospitalizations Tick Up
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
8PM WEDNESDAY UPDATE
OVERVIEW: FDA Backs Pfizer Boosters For 65+, High Risk; Wisconsin Counties in ‘Critical’ Category; Study Shows Vaccinated Pregnant Women Pass Immunity to Newborns
The Food & Drug Administration authorized booster doses for Americans who are 65 and older, younger adults with underlying health conditions and those in jobs that put them at high risk for COVID-19, the Associated Press and others report. However, more regulatory hurdles lie ahead before the dispensing of boosters can begin. The U.S. has already authorized third doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for certain people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients and transplant recipients.
People who get the COVID-19 vaccine while they are pregnant pass a high level of protection onto their newborns, according to a small study published Wednesday.
President Joe Biden announced Wednesday that the United States is buying 500 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine, ramping up efforts to reach the goal of immunizing 70 percent of the global population within a year, the Washington Post and other sources report.
The White House said it “strongly opposes” a provision in the 2022 defense spending bill that would block the Pentagon from dishonorably discharging a service member who refuses to get the COVID-19 vaccine, Fox News and other sources report.
The number of Wisconsin counties that have crossed into the state’s most serious COVID-19 category – Critical – quadrupled in the past week, while nearly every other county sits only a single level lower, NBC15 reports. Wisconsin heath officials only resurrected the Critical category last week, amid skyrocketing new case counts that have seen some of the highest single day totals of the year.
KANE COUNTY: 126 New Cases, 1 More Death Today; 99% of Kane Cases Are Delta Variant
Kane County Director of Health Protection Uche Onwuta told the Kane County Board Public Health Committee today that 99% of Kane County variants in the past six weeks have been a variation of the Delta variant.
Onwuta presented a chart (see above) showing that health officials have identified 12 variations of Delta in Kane County. During the period from Aug. 1 to Sept. 18, the highest number of new cases — 101 — were identified as the B.1.617.2 variant.
Onwuta reminded board members that the Delta variant is twice as contagious as the original strain and may cause more severe illness.
You can watch the Health Committee meeting on YouTube. It is embedded above.
The Illinois Department of Public Health today reported 126 new Kane County cases and one additional Kane County death. It is the 12th Kane County death in the past week.
To date, Kane County has tallied 65,888 positive cases and 850 deaths during the pandemic.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate remained at 3.8% for the third straight day.
So far, 55.13% of Kane County residents are fully vaccinated.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 3,561 New Cases, 38 Deaths; Hospitalizations Tick Up For 1st Time in Weeks
The state of Illinois reported 3,561 new cases and 38 additional deaths today.
The totals statewide are 1,605,320 positive cases and 24,699 deaths from the virus since the pandemic began.
COVID-19 hospitalizations in Kane-DuPage Region 8 ticked up for the first time in the past couple weeks, with a seven-day rolling averaging of 150 patients.
About 54.67% of Illinoisans are fully vaccinated.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.
- Click this link for the IPDH’s Online Vax Verify System
- Click this link for the IDPH’s School Outbreaks page