- Editor’s Note: This article, written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland, is the first in a series highlighting some of the updates in Kane County recycling this year. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841.
I’m excited to announce that there is now an electronics recycling location in Elburn. This is the fourth location, in addition to the Kane County recycling centers in West Dundee, Batavia, and Aurora.
This fourth location is a little different, because:
- It only accepts electronics and not all of the other items we accept at the Kane County Recycling Centers.
- The prices are the same for TVs and monitors at all four locations, with the exception that TVs over 65 inches or 100 pounds do have a higher cost in Elburn than they do at the other recycling centers.
- And residents need to register online or via phone before visiting this location.
The Elburn Electronic Waste Center is a partnership between Kane County, Lakeshore Recycling Services and our R2 certified (Responsible Recycler), eWorks.
NEW — Elburn, Electronic Waste Center
The NEW Elburn Electronic Waste Center is independently operated by Lakeshore Recycling Systems.
The location is 1N138 Linlar Drive, Elburn, IL 60119, and the hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 2:20 p.m. Monday through Friday.
As mentioned above, registration is required before drop off, for this location only.
Need to recycling TVs or monitors? Call 844-633-3577 to register and pay by phone.
Just want to recycling electronics, but no TVs or monitors? Register online for free recycling at LRSrecycles.com/ewasterecyclec
What You Can Recycle at the Elburn Location
- LRS accepts up to seven items per household.
- The following electronics are accepted at no charge:
- Cable receiver
- Electronic keyboards
- Satellite receivers
- Cell phones
- Electronic computer mouse
- Fax machine
- Small-scale server
- Computer cable
- Portable PDA
- Videocassette recorders
- Digital converter boxes
- Portable digital music players
- Video game consoles
- Digital video disc players
- Zip drives
- Digital video disc recorders
As mentioned above, TV’s and computer monitors require special handling and cost to process.
Please review the following instructions if you’d like to bring a TV(s) or computer monitor(s) to LRS Elburn EWaste Recycle Center:
- Call LRS at 844-633-3577 (844-NEED-LRS) and prepay required fee.
- Let LRS representative know you’re calling to prepay the fee to bring a TV or computer monitor (or both) to Elburn E-Waste Center.
- The LRS representative will take your information, submit the request and process payment.
- Fee payments are not accepted at the Elburn E-Waste Recycle Center.
- Fee must be paid by credit card in advance and all major credit cards accepted.
- LRS cannot accept more than seven E-Waste items per household.
TV And Computer Monitor Recycling Fees
- $25 for screens under 21 inches (measured diagonally)
- $35 for screens 21 inches to 65 inches (measured diagonally)
- $100 for screens exceeding 65 inches, 100 pounds or requiring special handling