COVID-19 UPDATES: Deaths Increasing in 43 States; Pritzker Warns of ‘Greater Mitigations’; 556 Kane Cases Since Thursday
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
OVERVIEW: U.S. Deaths Increasing in 43 States; Vaccine Less Effective Against Delta Variant
America’s Delta-driven surge of COVID-19 has entered a deadlier phase, according to a report in USA Today. Deaths are now increasing in 43 states — the worst tally since December, before America’s deadliest month of the pandemic, a USA TODAY analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows. The face of who is dying is also changing quickly. Deaths are increasingly centered among white non-Hispanic people, a USA TODAY analysis of National Centers for Health Statistics data shows.
Vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 infection dropped from 91% to 66% once the Delta variant accounted for the majority of circulating virus, according to a study published Tuesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The daily number of people getting their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine has risen by more than 70 percent since mid-July, White House officials said Tuesday.
Gov. Kathy Hochul, in her first day as governor of New York State, called on state health officials to impose a universal mask mandate in schools and said she wanted to institute Covid vaccine-or-test mandates for employees in schools, the New York Times reports.
KANE COUNTY: 556 New Cases, No Deaths Since Thursday; Test Positivity 6.6%
Kane County is showing 62,536 total cases and 822 deaths, as data was updated today on coronavirus.illinois.gov webpage.
That’s an increase of 556 cases since the page was last updated on Thursday, Aug. 19. There were no additional deaths during that time period.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate remains at 6.6% — no change since yesterday.
According to the IDPH, 52.99% of Kane County residents are fully vaccinated.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 2,989 New Cases, 15 Deaths Reported Tuesday; Pritzker Warns of ‘Significantly Greater Mitigations”
Gov. J.B. Pritzker warned Tuesday that if Illinois’ COVID metrics don’t decline, “significantly greater mitigations” could be imposed in the state, NBC5 reports.
Meanwhile, a spike in seriously ill COVID-19 patients at hospitals in suburban Cook, Lake and McHenry counties has triggered an Illinois Department of Public Health alert regarding the number of intensive care beds being used, the Daily Herald reports.
But Region 8 — made up of Kane and DuPage counties — remains above the 20% threshold, according to data posted today on the IDPH website. The seven-day rolling average of available ICU beds is 22% in Region 8, a percentage point higher than yesterday.
The Illinois Department of Public Health today reported 2,989 new COVID-19 cases and 15 additional deaths. The totals to date are 1,494,571 positive cases and 23,776 deaths statewide.
According to the IDPH, 61.66% of the population age 12 and up is fully vaccinated, and 67.21% of the population has had at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.