3 More Recycling Updates! New Services For Businesses, More Options at Recycling Centers, Liquid Latex Paint Recycling!
- Editor’s Note: This article, written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland, is the first in a series highlighting some of the updates in Kane County recycling this year. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841.
Last week, we talked about some of the changes that have taken place since we posted the 16-page 2020 Green Guide — including the updated schedule for recycling events, the rebranding of recycling centers and changes in local waste haulers.
These changes are outlined in our short, sweet and sassy 2021 supplement to the Green Guide, which you can find by clicking this link!
This week, I want to talk about three more big changes we’ve put in place this year that also represent what I think is a real and exciting expansion of recycling services.
For the sake of continuity, we’ll call them Changes 4, 5 and 6.
Big Change No. 4: Businesses Can Now Use Recycling Centers!
This “big change” makes it possible for us to get A LOT more recyclable materials out of the waste stream.
In addition to residents, businesses can now bring electronics to the Recycling Centers!
Businesses, organizations and units of local government can now utilize the Kane County Recycling Centers to recycle your electronic equipment through eWorks Electronics Services, the county’s contracted recycler.
Kane County now has three recycling centers — in Aurora, Batavia and West Dundee. Check out the full list of locations and hours.
Big Change No. 5: More Items Accepted at Kane Recycling Centers!
This is also a big deal for Kane County consumers.
When they first were opened, our recycling centers only accepted electronics.
In recent years, we’ve added to the list of accepted items; and now take electronics, books, appliances, clothing and textiles and scrap metal.
Items Accepted at Kane County Recycling Centers
- Appliances: small household appliances, no freon- containing devices.
- Books: see books page for more info ONLY accepted at Batavia and West Dundee locations. Books are not accepted at the Aurora location.
- Clothing & Textiles: Click here for the Accepted Items List!
- Christmas/Holiday Lights
- Electronics: Click here for the Accepted Items List! TVs and computer screens carry a recycling fee. Click this link to the Kane County Recycles website to learn more about costs.
- Scrap Metal
Big Change No. 6: Liquid Latex Paint!
Another Kane County recycling opportunity is liquid latex paint recycling and the addition of aerosol-product recycling at local Ace Hardware stores.
Thanks to a new partnership with Flat Can Recycling, Kane County consumers can now drop off all brands of spray paint cans, including Seymour of Sycamore, Krylon, Rustoleum, and Aervoe. A recycling fee per can applies, payable by the resident.
And while we’re on the subject, I want to make a quick plug and remind folks that latex paint and spray paint cans can be recycled at our upcoming recycling event, set for 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon) Saturday, Sept. 11, at 540 S. Randall Road in St. Charles.
The cost per can ($3/gallon and $1/spray can at events) may be lower than at Ace hardware stores. That’s because the hardware stores have to understandably add a percentage for handling the materials which makes the cost a little higher.
Read The Recycling Updates Series!