- Editor’s Note: This article was updated to include information about city of St. Charles government office hours and refuse collection.
In 2021, there’s a lot more OPEN than CLOSED this Fourth of July weekend than during last year’s pandemic-centered summer.
This year’s holiday falls on a Sunday, so the holiday is observed, for the most part, on Monday, July 5.
Here’s a look at some of the many changes taking place regarding “what’s closed, what’s open” for the Fourth of July holiday weekend this year.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed on Monday, July 5, 2021. According to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago website, when bank a holiday falls on a Saturday, it is not observed, but when a bank holiday falls on a Sunday, as it does this year, it is observed on the following Monday.
- Local banks are closed for the Fourth of July and, generally speaking, are open Friday but closed Monday.
- Some local businesses are closed on Independence Day, but many are open. Consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open July 4 and July 5. One exception is Costco, which will be closed on Sunday, July 4, in observance of the holiday.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open.
Cities And Villages
- Many if not all municipal non-emergency offices in Kane County have opened under Phase 5 guidelines. For the Independence Day holiday, many will be closed on Monday, July 5. Check the links below for details from your municipality.
- Typically, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services are delayed by one day after the Fourth of July holiday — and that’s true event when the holiday is on a Sunday.
- The following information was collected in a search of municipal websites, but you should call or click on the links to find up-to-date information.
- Village of Algonquin. The Ganek Municipal Center and Public Works Facility in Algonquin will be closed on Monday, July 5, in observance of Independence Day. Groot refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
- City of Aurora. Aurora has Groot refuse collection. We could not find a definitive answer on post-holiday collection, but Groot typically delays collection by a day, when the holiday falls on a Sunday.
- City of Batavia. Administrative offices are closed Monday; All refuse collections will be pushed back one day during the week of July 5, 2021.
- Village of Big Rock. Big Rock village offices are not open on Mondays; Big Rock has Groot.
- Village of Campton Hills. Village offices are closed. The Campton Township Solid Waste Disposal District website says “scheduled pick up days which fall on, or after, a legal holiday will be one day late following the holiday that week.”
- Village of Carpentersville. The Groot website page for Carpentersville says “when your scheduled collection day falls on one of the six following holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas), your collection will be delayed by one day.”
- Village of East Dundee. Offices are closed Monday. The East Dundee website says, “If a holiday falls on a weekday or a Sunday, and your regularly scheduled pickup is on or after the holiday, your pickup will be delayed by one day.”
- Village of Elburn. Village offices closed Monday. Regarding refuse collection: “Normally this is on Wednesdays, but is a day later if the holiday falls on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.”
- City of Elgin. Elgin offices appear to be closed Monday, based on the 2019 information; “Collections falling on these holidays will be rescheduled the first working day following the holiday or the Saturday; New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. For example, the Tuesday collection area will be serviced on Wednesday and the Friday area serviced on Saturday.”
- City of Geneva. Offices closed Monday. “Garbage collection will take place on Friday and Saturday, July 9-10, one day later than normal due to the holiday. For more information about Geneva’s refuse services, visit the city’s website.”
- Village of Gilberts. Independence Day is observed Monday, July 5. “If your collection day is on or after one of (the holiday), your collection will be one day later for that week only,” the village says on this PDF.
- Village of Hampshire. Village Hall is closed Monday, July 5. “Pick-up is Thursday of each week except after certain holidays. Holiday schedule, which means everything is picked up one day later.”
- Village of Huntley. Offices are closed Monday, July 5. “The collection day for that week will be delayed by one day.”
- Village of Lily Lake. Village offices closed Monday, July 5. “Garbage pickup is delayed one day.”
- Village of Maple Park. Offices are closed Monday, July 5. “Waste Management serves as the waste carrier for Maple Park. They pick up garbage and recycling on Wednesdays.” It appears that waste pickup is delayed a day.
- Village of Montgomery. Village office are closed Monday, July 5. “Only six holidays are observed by DC Recycling Systems: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When one of these holidays falls on a weekday, DC Recycling Systems will collect on the following day for the rest of that week. If the holiday falls on a weekend, trash pickup will not be affected.”
- Village of North Aurora. Village office are closed Monday, July 5. “Due to the Fourth of July Holiday, all garbage pick-up will be delayed by one day from your regularly scheduled pick-up.”
- Village of Pingree Grove. Offices are closed Monday, July 5. “If a holiday falls on a weekday or a Sunday, and your regularly scheduled pickup is on or after the holiday, your pickup will be delayed by one day. Friday customers will be serviced on Saturday.”
- Village of Sleepy Hollow. Could not find definitive info on holiday hours, but
- Village of South Elgin. Village offices are closed Monday, July 5. “If a holiday falls on a Sunday, garbage pickup is delayed by one day.”
- City of St. Charles. City offices are closed Monday, July 5. Refuse collection is delayed by one day.
- Village of Sugar Grove. Village offices are closed Monday, July 5. “The following holidays affect the refuse pickup schedule delaying pickup by one (1) day: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, & Christmas Day.”
- Village of West Dundee. Village offices closed Monday, July 5. “During the week of holidays, if the holiday falls on a weekday (on or before our regular Friday collection day), the collection day for that week will be moved to Saturday.” Since this year’s holiday is a Sunday, that appears to say that refuse collection will not be affected.
Federal Government Offices
- Independence Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County. As a precautionary measure related to COVID-19, the entire Fermilab site in Batavia is closed to the general public. This includes access to the walking/bicycling paths. All public events and tours are canceled, postponed or held remotely until further notice. Additional information on Fermilab’s precautions regarding COVID-19 is located at: https://www.fnal.gov/covid19.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, July 5, in observance of Independence Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well. That means we’ll publish a daily e-newsletter through Friday, July 2, and the weekend and weekly e-newsletters on Saturday, July 3, and resume the daily e-newsletter on Tuesday, July 6, 2021. Click on KaneCountyConnects.com for any breaking news updates that happen over the weekend.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed for the Fourth of July. Most have off Sunday, July 4, but you should click on the links to see if your library or park district is open or closed on Monday, July 5.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- UPS, FedEx and the United States Postal Service do not pick up or deliver on Independence Day. Some FedEx have modified hours on July 3 to July 5, 2021. For Post Offices employees, Monday, July 5, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes.
- Metra — Metra trains are operating on alternate schedules that we will update regularly to meet increasing demand. For the latest schedules, click here.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.