- Editor’s Note: This recycling tips article was written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer at 630-208-3841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
People have been calling up thinking there is a Kane County recycling event on Aug. 8 (which is a Sunday, and there is no event.)
I think the confusion is because the 2020 Green Guide dates are still out there in the paper copies, and for some reason, lol, people think it is still 2020.
This year, there is no Kane County recycling event in August 2021. The next event is Sept. 11, and it’s another biggy.
At the Sept. 11 event, you’ll be able to recycle electronics, clothes, books, Latex paint, aerosol products, and small propane canisters. Most of the items are recycled at no charge, but there is a fee for a few of the items. We’ll explain more about the fees below.
Here’s the recycling event schedule for the rest of the year. Be sure to save the date!
2021 Recycling Event Dates
- Sept. 11 — Electronics, clothes, books, Latex paint, aerosol products, and small propane canisters.
- Oct. 23 — Document shredding event! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
- Nov. 6 – Pumpkin Composting (at Pushing the Envelope Farm, 1700 Averill Road, Geneva; hours are 9 a.m. to noon)
For more information on Kane County recycling events, visit this page of the Kane County website!
Visit Kane County Recycling Centers!
Since there is no recycling event in August, now is a great time to get familiar with Kane County recycling centers!
We have three now, from the south end of the county to the north, and they really are a convenient way to drop off your recyclables.
Aurora Recycling Center
- Location: 911 N. Lake St., Aurora
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, year-round
Batavia, Fabyan Parkway
- Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia MAP
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (See Holiday Closures)
West Dundee Public Works
- Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee MAP
- Hours: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday (See Holiday Closures)
Items Accepted at Kane County Recycling Centers
- Appliances: small household appliances, no Freon-containing devices
- Books: See Kane County Recycles’ Books Page for more info. Books are ONLY accepted at Batavia and West Dundee locations. They are not accepted at the Aurora location.
- Clothing & Textiles: Click here for the Accepted Items List.
- Christmas/Holiday Lights
- Electronics: Click here of the Accepted Items List. See “Costs” below.
- Scrap Metal
Monitors (all types, flat screen or glass tube) and TVs/Televisions (all types, all ages, flat screen or glass tube) do have a cost to recycle them at the events and the recycling centers. All other electronics are free to drop off.
- $25 fee for screens under 21 inches (measured diagonally)
- $35 fee for screens 21 inches or over (measured diagonally)
- Online: You may pay online in advance for any TVs or monitors and bring your printed receipt with you. You will need to show the printed receipt.
- Card: You can pay by credit card at the time of delivery. Staff will limit contact while processing any payment transactions.
- Cash: Cash payments are discouraged but you can pay with (exact) cash if necessary. If you have to pay with cash, it must be the exact amount. Change will not be given. In order to avoid direct contact, you will insert the cash into a slotted box held out by the staff person.