COVID-19 UPDATE: U.S. COVID Cases Tripled in 2 Weeks; Olympics Now in Question; Why Are DuPage Number Spiking?
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
3:30PM WEDNESDAY, JULY 21
OVERVIEW: U.S. COVID Cases Tripled in 2 Weeks; Olympics Now in Question; Life Expectancy Drops By 1.5 Years
COVID-19 cases triple tripled in the U.S. over two weeks amid an onslaught of vaccine misinformation that is straining hospitals, exhausting doctors and pushing clergy into the fray, the Associated Press reports.
As Tokyo COVID-19 cases hit a six-month high, Olympics officials are not ruling out the possibility of canceling the summer games, according to the Associated Press and other sources.
U.S. life expectancy fell by a year and a half in 2020, the largest one-year decline since World War II, public health officials said today. The decrease for both Black Americans and Hispanic Americans was even worse: three years, the Associated Press reports.
With less than half of the U.S. population fully vaccinated and the Delta variant raging across the country, one Alabama physician says she is treating a lot of young, otherwise healthy people for serious coronavirus infections, USA Today reports.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, angrily confronted Kentucky GOP Sen. Rand Paul on Tuesday in testimony on Capitol Hill, rejecting Paul’s insinuation that the U.S. helped fund research at a Chinese lab that could have sparked the COVID-19 outbreak, the Associated Press reports.
KANE COUNTY: 17 New Cases, 0 Deaths Wednesday; Why Are Case Counts Going Up in DuPage?
Kane County recorded just 17 new cases of COVID-19 today and no additional deaths, according to date posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Kane County’s death total has remained at 815 since Monday, July 12. The total number of Kane County positive cases is 59,828.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate ticked up to 2.0% today, but it is still lower than neighboring DuPage, which jumped up to 2.6%.
DuPage County is the second-most-vaccinated of any county in the state, with 92.91% of seniors and 69.17% of residents age 16 to 64 receiving at least one dose of vaccine.
But DuPage has posted higher numbers of new cases of late — 64 on July 16, 58 on July 17 and 52 on July 18 — which has resulted in the above-mentioned spike in test positivity rates.
We did a quick scan of media reports and IDPH data but did not find any specific outbreak that might account for the higher numbers.
Delta Variant Dominant in Kane County
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 858 New Cases, 9 Deaths Wednesday; State Passes 50% Fully Vaccinated
The state of Illinois saw another small spike in COVID-19 cases today, reporting 858 new cases and nine additional deaths, according to data posted by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The totals to date are 1,404,466 confirmed cases and 23,392 deaths statewide.
Illinois passed another milestone, reporting the more than 13 million doses of COVID-19 have now been administered statewide. It also has passed the 50% mark for population that is fully vaccinated.
The exact numbers are 13,013,715 doses administered and 50.14% (6,387,908 people) fully vaccinated.
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.