COVID-19 UPDATE: Illinois Records Highest Case Count Since May; Pfizer Suggests Booster Shot; 1 Kane Death in 16 Days
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
3PM WEDNESDAY, JULY 28
OVERVIEW: Pfizer Suggests Booster Shot; Fed Employees May Be Required to Get Vaccinated; NYC Will Give $100 To Get Vaccinated
Pfizer reported that the power of its two-dose COVID vaccine wanes slightly over time, but nonetheless offers lasting and robust protection against serious disease. The company suggested that a third shot could improve immunity, but whether boosters will be widely needed is far from settled, the subject of heated debate among scientists, the New York Times reports.
The Biden administration is considering requiring all federal employees to be vaccinated against the coronavirus or be forced to submit to regular testing, social distancing, mask requirements and restrictions on most travel, the New York Times reports.
Vaccinated people “have the potential to spread that virus to others,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during Tuesday’s announcement of revised CDC guidance recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the Delta variant of the coronavirus is fueling infection surges.
Minnesota Department of Health officials said Tuesday they are investigating a COVID-19 outbreak at a camp for teenagers in the northwestern part of the state, the Star-Tribune reports.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that people getting their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at any city-run vaccination site will receive a $100 incentive starting Friday, July 30, Fox News reports.
KANE COUNTY: 43 New Cases, 0 Deaths Wednesday
Kane County recorded 42 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total to 60,105 positive cases since the pandemic began.
According to data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website, there were no additional COVID-19 deaths. The total remains at 816.
Clearly, the COVID-19 vaccine has done much to curb the deaths in Kane County and the state of Illinois. As COVID-19 cases counts and test positivity rates have continued to rise, Kane County has recorded one COVID-related death in the past 16 days.
Health officials caution, however, that increases in deaths generally will lag behind increases in case counts.
Kane County’s seven-day test positivity rate increased to 3.8% today.
There are 265,098 fully-vaccinated residents of Kane County, accounting for 49.62% of the population.
Masks Not Mandated in Kane But May Be Recommended in Future
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 2,082 New Cases Wednesday — Over 2,000 For 1st Time Since May 7
The state of Illinois recorded 2,082 new coronavirus cases today — the first time since May 7 that there has been a single-day increase of more than 2,000 cases.
According to data posted by the IDPH, the total number of positive cases to date is 1,415,572 statewide.
There were six additional deaths reported today, bring the total to 23,420.
The Kane-DuPage Region 8 test positivity rate rose to 3.8%. ICU-bed hospitalizations continue to be above the 20% threshold, although total numbers of COVID-19 hospitalizations statewide is going up.
The IDPH reports that 6,440,559 Illinoisans are fully vaccinated, accounting for 50.55% of the population.
IDPH: Delta Spreads ‘Twice as Easily’
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.