COVID-19 UPDATE: 83% of Cases Are Delta; India’s Real Death Toll Could Be 3 Million; Illinois Hospital Bed Capacity Shrinking
- VISIT THE KANE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE!
- VISIT KANEVAX.ORG
- For questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO GET VACCINATED
3:30PM TUESDAY, JULY 20
OVERVIEW: Delta Accounts For 83% of Cases; Chicago Adds to Travel Advisory Lists; India’s Real Death Toll Might Be Over 3 Million
The highly transmissible Delta variant of the coronavirus now accounts for 83% of all sequenced cases in the US, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in Senate testimony, according to multiple media sources.
The Chicago Department of Public Health added Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to its travel advisory Tuesday, as the country continues to see a steady increase in new COVID-19 cases, WGN reports.
The Biden administration has once again renewed a declaration that a “public health emergency” exists due to the continued spread of the coronavirus. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra issued the renewal on Monday – the sixth time the federal government has done so, Fox News reports.
The UK reported 46,558 new COVID-19 cases and 96 more deaths on Tuesday, according to government data, following England’s “Freedom Day” when all lockdown restrictions were lifted despite the sharp rise in cases.
The New York Times reports that the number of people who have died in the coronavirus pandemic in India so far is likely to exceed three million — nearly 10 times the official Covid-19 death toll — making it one of the worst human tragedies in the nation’s history, according to a new study by the Center for Global Development.
KANE COUNTY: 11 New Cases, No Deaths Tuesday
Kane County recorded just 11 new cases and no additional deaths related to COVID-19 today.
The totals to date are 59,811 positive cases and 815 deaths since the pandemic began.
The county’s seven-day rolling average of test positivity dropped to 1.9%.
There are now 261,684 Kane County residents who are fully vaccinated, accounting for 48.98% of the population.
STATE OF ILLINOIS: 745 New Cases, 6 Deaths Tuesday; Bed Availability Dropping; Half of Illinoisans Fully Vaccinated
Half of Illinoisans are now fully vaccinated, according to data posted by the IDPH, but that isn’t enough to stop a rise in new cases and deaths related to COVID-19, largely fueled by the Delta variant.
According to the IDPH, 50.04% of the 12,741,080 state of Illinois population is now fully vaccinated.
Today, the IDPH reports 745 new COVID-19 cases and six additional deaths. The state totals so far are 1,403,508 positive cases and 23,383 deaths.
In Kane-DuPage Region 8, the seven-day rolling average of hospital bed availability continues to drop, while the seven-day average numbers of COVID-19 patients in the hospital has risen or stayed even for at least the past nine days.
State Releases Back-To-School Guidance For Colleges, Universities
Vaccination Information Resources
- Website: KANEVAX.ORG
- KANEVAX Phone: 855-4-KANEVAX (855-452-6382)
- Illinois Vaccine Appointment Call Center: 833-621-1284
- Illinois’ Guidance on COVID-19: 800-889-3931; DPH.SICK@illinois.gov
- Click this link to sign up and receive vaccine information update emails from the Kane County Health Department.
- Notificación de Información Sobre Vacunas
- For questions about the COVID Vaccine, contact the Kane County Health Department at COVIDVaccine@co.kane.il.us
- Pandemic Health Navigator: HelpGuideThrive.org
State of Illinois COVID-19 Data
- Click here for the most recent IDPH COVID-19 news releases.
- Click this link for regional COVID-19 resurgence metrics.
- Click this link for the coronavirus.illinois.gov web page.
- Click this link for state of Illinois news releases.
- Click this link for statistics on long-term-care facilities.
- Click this link for county-level metrics.
- Click this link to watch state of Illinois news conferences.
- Click this link to see vaccination data from the IDPH.
- Click this link for the state of Illinois vaccination locations page.
- Click this link for the new COVID-19 modeling page.
- Click this link for the CDC’s Kane County data tracker page.
- Click this link for the IDPH’s Variants of Concern page.