- CLICK THIS LINK FOR KANE COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET YOUR PET VACCINATED FOR RABIES.
- CLICK THIS LINK TO READ MORE ABOUT KCAC RABIES VACCINATION DRIVE-THRU CLINICS.
Beginning July 14, 2021, there is a temporary suspension which prohibits the entry of dogs into the United States arriving from the countries listed below due to the high risk for importing rabies into the United States.
On an extremely limited basis, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the authority to issue advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit) to bring a dog from a high-risk country.
If you wish to import a dog from a high-risk country, you must request advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit) from CDC by emailing CDCanimalimports@cdc.gov at least 30 business days (six weeks) before you intend to enter the United States.
No CDC Dog Import Permits are issued upon arrival. Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense.
Dog Importation Changes
NOTE: A CDC Dog Import Permit is not required for dogs arriving from countries NOT at high risk for dog rabies.
CDC requires all dogs to be healthy upon arrival. In addition to CDC regulations, you must comply with US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and your destination state’sexternal icon requirements.
High-Risk Countries for Dog Rabies
- Algeria, Angola
- Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi
- Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte D’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti
- Egypt (Temporary importation suspension of dogs from Egypt until further notice)
- Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini (Swaziland), Ethiopia
- Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau
- Lesotho, Liberia, Libya
- Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique
- Namibia, Niger, Nigeria
- Republic of the Congo, Rwanda
- Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan
- Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Togo, Tunisia
- Western Sahara
- Zambia, Zimbabwe
Americas & Caribbean
- Belize, Bolivia, Brazil
- Colombia, Cuba
- Dominican Republic
- Ecuador, El Salvador
- Guatemala, Guyana
- Haiti, Honduras
Asia and the Middle East, Eastern Europe
- Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan
- Bangladesh, Belarus, Bhutan, Brunei
- Cambodia, China (excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan)
- India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq
- Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
- Laos, Lebanon
- Malaysia, Moldova, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma)
- Nepal, North Korea
- Pakistan, Philippines
- Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria
- Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Turkey, Turkmenistan
- Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan
CDC on Facebook