- Editor’s Note: This article was written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841 or email@example.com.
The household hazardous waste event on Saturday, June 5, held in Aurora on River Street, in partnership with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, city of Aurora, and Kane County, was a great success.
Volunteers and staff were out in the 95 degree summer day to help guide traffic and manage the event. The event ran smoothly and more than 900 households were able to clean out and properly dispose of their hazardous materials.
If you missed this event, don’t fret, there are other options available for you! If you have chemicals, fertilizers, oil paints, auto fluids, and other household hazardous wastes to dispose of, please see this page for more info on programs available to you.
Did you know that the permanent Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Naperville is open every weekend? It is open to all Illinois residents, to drop off hazardous materials free of charge.
What Is HHW?
Household hazardous waste is a term that describes the waste associated with the wide variety of chemical cleaners, pesticides, fertilizers, paints, auto fluids, and other toxic materials in use in homes, automobiles, and yards. The topic of HHW affects each and every individual and community given the nearly universal use, storage, and disposal of chemical consumer products.
- Drop-off Location: Naperville HHW facility
- Home Collection Program: Home Collection Program - the following areas are eligible:
- Townships: Hampshire, Rutland, Dundee, Burlington, Plato, Elgin (All municipal and unincorporated residents within these townships inside of Kane County boundaries are eligible to participate., except for the City of Elgin which has a separate service through their waste hauler contract.)
- Cities: Batavia, Geneva
- Special Service Area: Mill Creek
Reduce use of hazardous material in the home
Business Quantity Hazardous Material
The Naperville HHW Drop-off and the Home Collection Service programs are for residential waste only. Please contact one of the following Certified Hazardous Waste Companies that can serve small quantity business generated hazardous materials:
- Clean Harbors — 800-645-8265 or 773-645-8265
- Heritage Environmental — 800-552-5986
- R3 Env Mngmt — 847-488-1492
- Safety-Kleen — 847-468-6600
- SET Environmental — 847-537-9221
- Stericycle — 877-927-8311
- Veolia Environmental — 312-552-2800
- US Ecology — 800-592-5489 (Kane County currently contracts with US Ecology for the home collection program, so they are in the area regularly.)
SOURCE: Kane County Recycles website, news release