Fire Causes $170,000 Damages To West Side Home in Elgin

Fire Causes $170,000 Damages To West Side Home in Elgin

The 200 block of North Aldine Street in Elgin. (CREDIT: Google Maps)

An Elgin home was red-tagged after a Wednesday (June 16, 2021) fire officials say might have been caused by an electrical problem.

According to an Elgin Fire Department news release, firefighters responded at around 6:48 p.m. Wednesday to the 200 block of North Aldine Street for a report of a structure fire.

(CREDIT: Google Maps)

Responding fire companies found a two story home with fire coming out of several side windows on the first floor.  The residents were home at the time of the fire and self evacuated just prior to the Fire Department’s arrival.

The first firefighters arrived on scene in just over three and half minutes. Fire crews deployed two hand lines to extinguish the fire. The fire was brought under control approximately twenty minutes after the arrival of the Fire Department.

The home suffered extensive fire and smoke damage. Initial damage estimates are in excess of $170,000.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries due to the fire. The home was red-tagged as it is uninhabitable.

Initial indications point to possible electrical problem as the cause.

A Tip From Elgin Fire Chief Robb Cagann

Make sure you have properly installed and maintained smoke detectors in your home and/or business. Smoke detectors are the first line of defense during a fire event. Test smoke detectors each month and make a habit of changing the batteries twice a year, like when you change your clocks.

Elgin Fire Department on Facebook