With everything seeming to be reopening these days, “what’s open, what’s closed” for Memorial Day 2021 might seem a little strange this year.
There will be more travel, of course, and more weekend getaways. If you’re thinking about a last-minute getaway, click this link for some fun road trip ideas.
Then again, you might have second thoughts if you consider that traffic and gas prices are both higher.
And if you are staying at home, you’ll want to know what Memorial Day parades and celebrations are going on here in Kane County.
As this is written, the KaneVax Hub in Batavia appears to have some openings on Saturday, if you’re thinking of getting a shot of COVID-19 vaccine during the weekend. Check the kanevax.org website for more information.
Below is a quick list of what’s open and closed on Monday, May 31, 2021.
- Many businesses are open on Memorial Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. One exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid. (Time to get that COVID-19 vaccine shot?)
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours of operation on Monday.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County. In fact, as a precautionary measure related to COVID-19, the entire Fermilab site in Batavia is currently closed to the general public. This includes all tours, events, activities, classes, and buildings, as well as access to the walking/bicycling paths.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day.
- You can drop off your property tax bill in the drop-off box behind Building A, however, if you’re so inclined. The first installment is due June 1, but for those adversely affected by the COVID-19 virus outbreak, late penalty fees for first installment payments made on or before July 1, 2020, will be waived.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and many park district offices and fitness centers are closed on Memorial Day. But it’s worth clicking on those links to find out what’s happening in your home town.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Metra — Metra trains are operating on alternate schedules that we will update regularly to meet increasing demand. Improved Saturday service will start on most lines May 29. For the latest schedules, click here. Metra also announced that up to three children age 11 and under will be able to ride free with an adult beginning this Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day as part of its expanded Family Fares program. In addition, Metra will offer early getaway trains on Friday, May 25 so customers can get a head start on their holiday plans. Most lines are adding and shifting trains to the early afternoon. Complete schedules and more information are available here.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules. On Monday, May 31 (Memorial Day), the following Pace routes will operate on a Sunday schedule: Pulse Milwaukee Line, 208, 215, 223, 250, 270, 290, 301, 303, 305, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 313, 315, 317, 318, 322, 330, 332, 349, 350, 352, 353, 356, 357, 359, 364, 366, 379, 381, 383, 384, 386, 565, 568, 571, 606.
- Memorial Day 2021: Some Parades Are Back! Here’s a Look at Events in Kane County
- AAA: Expect Crowds, Traffic And Higher Gas Prices This Memorial Day
- 60 New Illinois Road Trip Itineraries