Hey, Kane County: Clean Out Your Garage! Don’t Miss This Free, June 5 Household Hazardous Waste Recycling Event!
June 5 Household Hazardous Waste Recycling Event
- When: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 5
- Where: 309 N River St., Aurora, IL 60506
- Partners: IEPA, Kane County, City of Aurora, and DuPage County
- Questions? Contact Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland, 630-208-3841, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click this link to see the poster detailing materials accepted and other information regarding this special event.
To say this June 5, 2021, recycling event is a big deal for Kane County residents might be a bit of an understatement.
All of the chemicals and hazardous waste items that clutter your garage or basement are a “hazard” you shouldn’t be storing at home. Hazardous chemicals — in addition to causing harm to the environment — threaten us directly, through improper use or improper disposal and by accidental poisoning. See this Kane County Connects article on poison-proofing your home.
So, here’s your chance to responsibly dispose of all those potentially harmful unused products.
Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland is strongly encouraging residents to register to take part in a special household hazardous waste recycling event set for 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 5, at 306 N. River St. in Aurora. Start cleaning out and gathering things in boxes now. Let your neighbors know!
“This free event is a great opportunity to clean out your garages and basements of hazardous materials!” Jarland said. “Get the unused cleaners, chemicals, paint thinners, fertilizers, pesticides, auto fluids and other potentially harmful materials out of your homes and dispose of them properly.
“This is a rare event put on by partnership between the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (who provides the funding), the city of Aurora, and the counties of DuPage and Kane. Take advantage of this opportunity and register your timeslot HERE to attend.”
The event is part of a statewide recycling effort that is available to only a few counties each year.
What You Can And Can’t Recycle
ACCEPTED ITEMS include acids, adhesives, aerosol products, auto fluids, ballasts, batteries (no auto batteries), blacktop sealer, cleaning products, cooking oil, corrosives, drain cleaners, fluorescent light bulbs, hobby and photo chemicals, lawn chemicals, medications (no controlled substances), mercury and devices that contain it, oil paint and stains (no latex paint), paint thinners, pool chemicals, and solvents.
NO latex paint, metal tanks/cylinders (acetylene, foam, oxygen, propane), agricultural wastes, ammunition, explosives or fireworks, biohazards (medical wastes), farm machinery oil, fire extinguishers, lead-acid auto batteries, MAPP gases, pharmaceuticals (controlled substances), radioactive material, smoke detectors, and NO syringes or needles.
Other Guidelines For The Event
- Registration is mandatory. Register here: www.tinyurl.com/HHWRecyclingJune5
- Place all materials in your trunk or backseat so workers can collect it and maintain social distance. Also please wear a mask while interacting with event workers.
- Business, Institution & Agriculture waste will NOT be accepted.
- Please carpool with neighbors to bring your hazardous waste materials for safe disposal.
- Please clearly label and safely package all waste materials & stay in your vehicle at event.
- Do not bring any of the items on the NOT Accepted list as we cannot take them and it slows down the line. For alternative solutions for those items, call 630-208-3841 or go to: www.countyofkane.org/recycling “A-Z list”.
Questions? Contact Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841 or email@example.com
SOURCE: Kane County Recycles news release
- Register Now! Household Hazardous Waste Event June 5 in Aurora
- Illinois EPA Announces 2021 Spring Household Hazardous Waste Events — Including June 5 in Aurora!