- Editor’s Note: This recycling tips article was written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jennifer at 630-208-3841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ve got, not one, not two, but three very cool recycling events coming up in early May that I’m more than a little excited about.
Here’s a quick rundown so that you can save the dates.
May 8, 2021 – Kane County Recycling Event
This is your chance to recycle TVs, computers, electronics, clothes, books, paint and aerosol products.
Those last two items make this event kind of special. It’s another great opportunity to clean out your garage or basement, which can get full of those paint cans you’ve accumulated over the years.
This is a Kane County recycling event, and it takes place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 8, in the parking lot of the Kane County Branch Court facility at 540 S. Randall Road in St. Charles.
May 8 Event Checklist — And Links For More Info
- Where: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
- When: 8 a.m. to 12 noon Saturday, May 8, 2021
- Accepting: Electronics, Clothing & Textiles, Books, Paint, and Aerosol Products
- Rules of Use: Please click, review and follow these rules in the name of health and safety.
- TVs and Monitors ($25-35). Pay online and bring printed receipt. All other electronics are free to drop off.
- Latex Paint has a cost, payable by the resident by card or cash (exact cash please). Cans can be recycled for $3 per gallon. Click on this link for more information.
- Aerosol Products: $1 per can. See the list of accepted materials here.
Jen’s Recycling Tip No. 1: Recycle Aerosol at Our Recycling Events and Geneva Ace Hardware
Ace Hardware also takes fluorescent tubes for free from residential sources only. No business material, please.
To learn more, check out these Kane County Connects articles on paint recycling programs and process:
- Recycle Aerosol Spray Cans at Geneva Ace Hardware
- Spray Cans Make a Long, Strange Trip To Recycle Right
Jen’s Recycling Tip No. 2: Avoid The Line
Kane County’s Recycling Centers are open on weekdays for dropping off electronics, clothing, and books to be recycled. The same costs apply. Please see the website for details.
May 3-7 – Illinois Food Scrap Coalition Lunch-And-Learn Compost Series
International Compost Awareness Week is here (May 2- May 8), and the Illinois Food Scrap Coalition is celebrating by inviting you to attend this fun and informative online Lunch & Learn series.
Please join us for your lunch hour (noon to 1 p.m.) each weekday via Zoom as we follow the composting cycle through this year’s ICAW theme: “Grow, Eat…COMPOST…Repeat.”
Register just once for all five days, and join whichever sessions you like.
May 18 – Bins & Barrels Pick Up Event
No. 3 on our hit parade of environmentally friendly May events is a pick-up date, but the key information is that you can ORDER NOW.
We’re talking top-quality rain barrels and composting bins at affordable prices, courtesy of some extra effort by Kane County Recycles and the Conservation Foundation
Here’s How it Works
- Order NOW! Bins & Barrels are available for a limited time. Please pre-order here before May 8, 2021. You must pre-order. See the event flyer.
- Cost: Rain Barrels are $60 each and the compost bins are $55 each.
- Pick up your pre-ordered Bins & Barrels at the Creek Bend Nature Center – LeRoy Oaks Forest Preserve (37W700 Dean St., St. Charles) from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 18.
- Home delivery is also available for an additional $18.50. With the increased delivery fee this year, we recommend residents take full advantage of the local sale and pick-up opportunity.
- View the informational webinar that was recorded on April 26 to learn how to create an environmentally-friendly yard with the benefits of using a rain barrel and compost bin.