Electrical Issue Blamed For Easter Sunday House Fire That Injured 2 on Geneva's East Side

Electrical Issue Blamed For Easter Sunday House Fire That Injured 2 on Geneva’s East Side

The 100 block of Woodlawn Street in the fall. (CREDIT: Google Maps)

Two people suffered minor injuries after a multi-family house was damaged by an Easter Sunday fire in the 100 block of Woodlawn Street on Geneva’s east side.

Fire News - New Water TowerThe Geneva Fire Department was dispatched at 11:17 p.m. to the home, which had been subdivided into two apartments. Tenants in the second-floor apartment called 911 after detecting smoke emanating from the first-floor unit. Firefighters spotted the fire coming from the bathroom in the rear of the first-floor apartment.

The call was elevated to a Special Alarm for a working fire response.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control in about 10 minutes.

A woman from the second-floor apartment was transported to Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital in Geneva after suffering a minor burn injury while attempting to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.

Woodlawn Street in Geneva. (CREDIT: Google Maps)

A man from the first-floor apartment was treated and released on the scene for smoke inhalation. The remaining four tenants from both units managed to escape the house unharmed.

The preliminary cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature. The bathroom was destroyed by the fire and there was minor water/smoke damage to both apartments. Damage estimates are still being compiled, but the house has been deemed uninhabitable at this time.

Firefighters from Elburn, St. Charles, Batavia and West Chicago assisted Geneva at the scene.

The Fermilab and North Aurora fire departments filled in at the Geneva fire stations.

Additional support was provided by the Geneva Police Department, Geneva Emergency Management Agency and Nicor Gas.