Even with a COVID-19 vaccination effort in high gear, there’s still a little uncertainty about what’s open and what’s closed as far as government offices, businesses, libraries and other places where folks congregate during Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan.
State officials say that, as long as COVID-19-related hospital admissions go up, the state will not advance to the Bridge Phase and on to Phase 5 of the Restore Illinois Plan — so we still have restrictions on how many people can be in a restaurant, for example, and all indoor gatherings are limited to 50 people or fewer, according to the IDPH website.
But this year, what’s closed and what’s open for the Spring Holiday on Friday and Easter Sunday 2021 is perhaps surprisingly similar to the what’s open/closed article from 2019.
As always, it’s a good idea to click on the links below to see what’s posted on the specific government office or business you want to visit.
Here’s a quick rundown.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is open on Friday and, of course, closed on Easter Sunday.
- Local banks are, from our brief sampling, typically open on Friday and are closed on Sunday.
- Many businesses (other than banking institutions) are open on Friday, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open on Friday. Some big-name retail stores are closed on Easter Sunday. According to the Real Deal website, here are some of the stores closed on Easter Sunday:
- Ace Hardware
- Banana Republic
- Barnes & Noble
- Best Buy
- Bob’s Discount Furniture
- The Container Store
- Crate & Barrel
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Half Price Books
- H-E-B Grocery
- Hobby Lobby
- Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack
- Office Depot
- Pier 1
- Pottery Barn
- T.J. Maxx
- True Value
- Sam’s Club
Cities And Villages
Several municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed for the “spring holiday” on Friday. They are always closed on Sunday.
Typically, waste and recycling collection services are not affected by the Easter weekend holiday.
We’ve marked several that are closed on Good Friday, but be sure to consult your local municipality’s website for further information:
- Village of Algonquin
- City of Aurora
- City of Batavia (Administrative offices closed Friday.)
- Village of Big Rock (Regular office hours do not include Fridays.)
- Village of Burlington (Regular office hours do not include Fridays.)
- Village of Campton Hills (Village Hall is temporarily closed to the public due to the pandemic.)
- Village of Carpentersville
- Village of East Dundee (Village offices closed Friday.)
- Village of Elburn
- City of Elgin
- City of Geneva (Closed Friday)
- Village of Gilberts
- Village of Hampshire (Closed Friday)
- Village of Huntley (Closed Friday)
- Village of Lily Lake
- Village of Maple Park (Closed Friday)
- Village of Montgomery (Village offices closed Friday.)
- Village of North Aurora (Closed Friday for spring holiday.)
- Village of Pingree Grove
- Village of Sleepy Hollow
- Village of South Elgin
- City of St. Charles
- Village of Sugar Grove
- Village of Wayne
- Village of West Dundee (Closed Friday)
Federal offices are open on Friday, according to this U.S. Office of Personnel Management list of holidays.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Friday.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has Friday off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park districts that are operating during this stage of the Restore Illinois plan are open on Good Friday and closed on Easter Sunday. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Post offices are open Friday and closed Sunday.
- All schools in Kane County have some combination on in-school and online learning. Many have announced that they will return to five-days-a-week classrooms after the spring break.
- As far as we can tell from an Internet search, all local grade schools and high schools are closed for the spring holiday on Friday.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
State of Illinois
The state of Illinois does not take Friday off.
- All major U.S. stock exchanges (NYSE, NASDAQ and American Stock Exchange) follow the same holiday schedules, and Good Friday is one of the holidays. There is no insider trading reporting in these market holidays
- Metra trains are operating on alternate weekday and weekend schedules posted here, with no weekend service on the North Central Service, Southwest Service, Heritage Corridor and the Blue Island Branch of the Metra Electric Line. For all other information relating to Metra’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, click here. No special mention is made to the Spring Holiday or Easter Sunday schedule.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.