2:25PM TUESDAY UPDATE
There’s not a whole lot to add in the wake of Monday’s weather event.
Snow and sleet came down like crazy, especially during the lunchtime on Monday, and brought with it snowfall of about 1.5 inches to 2.8 inches, depending on your part of the county.
St. Charles recorded the 1.5 inches, according to the NWS “Snowfall Reports from the Last 24 Hours” page. Nearby West Chicago tallied 2.8 inches.
Dry, Then Milder By Weekend
The rest of the week looks comparatively routine, with a little local rainfall and some wind on Thursday.
The NWS-C is promising a warmer weekend.
5PM MONDAY UPDATE
The National Weather Service Chicago Winter Weather Advisory goes to 7 p.m. (Monday, March 15, 2021), but there could be some lingering, dangerous driving for the commute home tonight and the start of Tuesday.
“Plan on slippery road conditions, especially elevated and untreated surfaces, due to the freezing rain and sleet at times,” the advisory said. “Also brief higher snowfall rates will likely overlap at least the beginning portion of the evening commute.”
The advice is to slow down and use caution while traveling. The latest road conditions for Illinois can be obtained on the internet at www.gettingaroundillinois.com.
We’ll update this article with snow totals, if they become available.
For tonight and tomorrow, slippery conditions continue, and patchy fog is in the forecast for Tuesday morning.
Kane County Forecast
- Monday Night — Rain or freezing drizzle likely before 1am, then a slight chance of freezing drizzle between 1am and 3am. Patchy fog after 1am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 30. East wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.
- Tuesday — Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. North northwest wind around 5 mph.
- Tuesday Night — Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. North northeast wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday — Partly sunny, with a high near 46. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
- Wednesday Night — Rain likely, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Thursday —Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Thursday Night — A slight chance of rain before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery.
- Friday — Sunny, with a high near 44.
- Friday Night — Mostly clear, with a low around 27.
SOURCE: NWS Chicago