Hines VA Hospital is scheduling appointments for the COVID-19 vaccine on March 6 and April 3 at its Aurora Community Based Outpatient Clinic.
And according to an update on the Hines VA Facebook page, the vaccine is now available for veterans age 60 and older.
Hines continues to vaccinate according to this stratification plan:
- Veterans 60 and over
- Dialysis patients
- Chemotherapy patients
- Organ transplant Veterans
- Homeless Veteran Program participants
- Inpatient Spinal Cord Center
- Community Living Center (CLC)
- Residential Care Facility (RCF)
- Hines employees
If veterans are in one of the categories above and are interested in receiving a COVID19 vaccine (first and second dose) in Aurora or at the main campus, they should call 708-202-2707 or 708-202-7000 to schedule an appointment.
Veterans need to be enrolled in health care at Hines or one of its six CBOCs to be eligible for the vaccine. For enrollment information, visit https://www.va.gov/healthcare/how-to-apply/.
According to Kane County Veterans Assistance Commission Superintendent Jacob Zimmerman, Hines is anticipating an increasing supply of COVID-19 vaccines in the coming weeks and potentially adding more patient groups to their COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility List.
“We encourage any veteran who would like to get the COVID-19 vaccine who is NOT registered at Hines VA Hospital (which includes the Aurora and Hoffman Estates VA Clinics) to enroll for VA Health Care so that when they become eligible for the vaccine there will be less delay in being able to receive it,” Zimmerman said.
How do you enroll in VA Health Care?
- If you live in Kane County, call the Kane County Veterans Assistance Commission at 630-232-3552, Monday through Friday. The Veterans Assistance Commission will screen you for eligibility and, if eligible, submit your application to Hines. Processing time ranges from one to 24 hours.
- If you live outside of Kane County, you can apply on this website: https://www.va.gov/health-care/apply/application/introduction or by calling your local County Veterans Assistance Commission. Processing times can take up to one week.
Before calling or applying, Zimmerman suggest you have your DD-214 and last year’s financial information available.
“Please be patient, call volumes have been extraordinary due to the vaccine,” he said. “If no one answers, leave one voicemail and your call will be returned in the order it was received.”
Hines VA on Facebook
Good News! We have changes to our COVID vaccine stratification list. If you are 60 years old or older, you may now call…
About Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital, located 12 miles west of downtown Chicago on a 147-acre campus, offers primary, extended and specialty care to veteran patients in the Chicago area. We are the largest VA in the state of Illinois, where more than a million veterans reside. The hospital treats more than 56,000 veterans from World War II through the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.