With all that’s opening under Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan, how do we know what’s open and what’s closed for the upcoming holidays of Lincoln’s Birthday and Presidents Day here in Kane County, IL?
While Presidents Day is the holiday that gets the most attention, Lincoln’s Birthday is also a state holiday. This year, Lincoln’s Birthday falls on Friday, Feb. 12, and Presidents Day is Monday, Feb. 15.
Generally speaking, local businesses are open both days and quite often have Presidents Day sales.
County and state government offices are closed both days.
Public schools have a variety of online and in-person schedules during the pandemic, but many have invited students to return to classrooms. Under non-pandemic years, local K-12 school districts generally close on Presidents Day.
Most local municipal government offices are open on Lincoln’s Birthday (if they have regular Friday hours) but are about evenly split on being open or closed on Presidents Day.
At this time, it is not certain how the holidays might affect COVID-19 testing sites or vaccination efforts. However, most state news releases are seem to indicate that scheduled mobile testing sites will be operational. If the state posts a release saying otherwise, we will update this article.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed for Washington’s Birthday. (The same day as Presidents Day) but open on Lincoln’s birthday.
- Most local banks are open on Lincoln’s birthday and closed on Presidents Day, but it’s best to check your bank’s website for the most up-to-date information.
- With Phase 4 of Restore Illinois in place, most retail businesses are open both Friday and Monday, and many are offering Presidents Day sales. That includes department stores, restaurants and grocery stores.
- Check with your local Chamber of Commerce to find out more about deals and what’s open. You can find links to local chambers on this page of the Kane County website.
Cities and Villages
As mentioned in the intro, most municipal government offices are open (either remotely or in person) on Lincoln’s Birthday, if they have Friday hours of operation. (Some don’t.)
However, it’s a mixed bag regarding non-emergency office hours for Monday, Feb. 15, 2021, in Kane County villages and cities.
As far as garbage and recycling pickup, most municipalities’ collection days are not affected by the Presidents Day holiday. That said, it’s a good idea to check your local unit of government for more information. (In the city of Geneva, for example, non-emergency municipal government offices are closed on Presidents Day, but garbage collection keeps the usual schedule.)
Here are links to specific “holiday” pages or the general municipal website.
- Village of Algonquin
- City of Aurora.
- City of Batavia
- Village of Big Rock offices are not open on Mondays. According to the village’s website, hours are Tuesdays, Thursdays and evenings by appointment.)
- Village of Campton Hills
- Village of Carpentersville
- Village of East Dundee
- Village of Elburn
- City of Elgin
- City of Geneva.
- Village of Gilberts.
- Village of Hampshire
- Village of Huntley
- Village of Lily Lake
- Village of Maple Park
- Village of Montgomery
- Village of North Aurora
- Village of Pingree Grove
- Village of Sleepy Hollow
- Village of South Elgin
- City of St. Charles
- Village of Sugar Grove
- Village of West Dundee
All federal offices will be closed on Presidents Day to observe this federal holiday.
The holiday is designated as “Washington’s Birthday” in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. “Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.”
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed for Lincoln’s Birthday and Presidents Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has both days off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
- Kane County’s 16th Circuit Court offices are closed for both holidays. Remote Court Access for the 16th Judicial Circuit has been extended through Feb. 28, 2021.
Many libraries have reopened buildings under Phase 4. Most that are open are operating on Presidents Day, but it’s a good idea to check with your local library before you go.
Here are links to library districts in Kane County:
- Algonquin Area Public Library
- Aurora Public Library
- Bartlett Public Library
- Batavia Public Library
- Big Rock Public Library
- Elgin Community College Library
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library
- Fox River Valley Libraries
- Gail Borden Public Library
- Geneva Public Library
- Huntley Area Public Library
- Kane County Law Library
- Kaneville Public Library
- Maple Park Public Library
- Messenger Public Library of North Aurora
- Oswego Public Library
- St. Charles Public Library
- Sugar Grove Public Library
- Town & Country Public Library District
- Waubonsee Community College Library
Metra trains are operating on alternate weekday and weekend schedules posted here, with no weekend service on the North Central Service, Southwest Service, Heritage Corridor and the Blue Island Branch of the Metra Electric Line. For all other information relating to Metra’s response to the pandemic, click here.
Some park districts facilities are open, depending on their response to the pandemic, but check the following links for your local district’s info.
- Aurora Parks & Recreation
- Barrington Countryside Park District
- Batavia Park District
- Big Rock Park District
- Dundee Township Park District
- Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Fox Valley Park District
- Geneva Park District
- Hampshire Park District
- Hoffman Estates Park District
- Huntley Park District
- Oswegoland Park District
- St. Charles Park District
- South Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Sugar Grove Park District
- Sycamore Park District
- Village of Bartlett Park District
- The U.S. Postal Service will not deliver mail and post offices operate on Lincoln’s Birthday but will be closed on Presidents Day. Self-service lobbies will remain open. Just as an FYI, the Postal Service refers to the holiday as Washington’s Birthday (observed) rather than Presidents Day.
- UPS and FedEx will maintain regular business hours on Monday. There are some “modified service” situations, so click the links here for details.
- Most schools are closed on Presidents Day.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Waubonsee Community Colleges is open for Presidents Day, but Elgin Community College is closed, according to the ECC Academic Calendar. Links are provide below
The state of Illinois closes its offices in observance of Lincoln’s Birthday and Presidents Day / Washington’s Birthday.
That includes Illinois Secretary of State’s Office facilities.
This article will be updated regarding information on COVID-19 testing sites and vaccination options.