Businesses, organizations and units of local government can now utilize the Kane County Recycling Centers to recycle your electronic equipment through eWorks Electronics Services, the county’s contracted recycler.
While the Consumer Electronics Recycling Act (415 ILCS 151/) bans electronics from landfills in the state of Illinois, the collection programs that it mandates are for residential equipment only. So businesses and organizations are left to contract for the collection, recycling, and data destruction of their electronic equipment.
There is a list on the county website of several electronics recycling companies that provide this service, from which businesses may solicit quotes for service.
The list includes eWorks Electronics Services, the county’s service provider and a non-profit whose main mission is to employ people with disabilities. eWorks operates the two Kane County recycling centers and runs several scheduled collection events each year for Kane County and regionally.
As an added service, eWorks will now accept the delivery of electronic equipment from businesses, organizations, institutions, libraries, and municipalities at the Kane County Recycling Centers. They provide a range of customized data destruction and audit services for businesses.
Guidelines for Businesses
For large volumes, ongoing quantities, or specific documentation requirements, contact eWorks (217-364-7472) for a customized quote and service program options.
- Up to two pallets worth can be delivered without prior notice.
- Anything more than two pallets will require that you call to make an appointment (217-364-7472).
- Identify yourself as a business (for tracking purposes) at the time of delivery. (Bring a business card or a tax ID number.)
- You will pay the same cost for TVs and monitors as residents do: $25 for screens under 21 inches, measured diagonally, or $35 for screens 21 inches or more. Businesses can pay with a credit card at the time of delivery.
- All other items are FREE to drop off.
- If a certificate of recycling, data destruction, or an audit report is required, please contact eWorks in advance of delivery (217-364-7472) to make arrangements for documentation.
Kane County Recycling Center Locations
- Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway (Map)
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday
- Holiday Closures
West Dundee Public Works
- Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee (Map)
- Hours: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday; NO Saturday hours.
- Holiday Closures
SOURCE: Kane County Recycles news release