The city of Elgin is limiting interactions with the public by extending the closure of City Hall and suspending non-essential inspections until Monday, Feb. 8. This action follows Gov. JB Pritzker’s executive order extending statewide Tier 3 mitigations through Saturday, Feb. 6.
“The city has effectively maintained
City Hall remains closed to the public until Monday, Feb. 8. All City Hall operations continue online, by phone or by email (see Open for Business section below). Please note the following exceptions:
- Kane County Branch Circuit Court suspended operations at City Hall beginning Nov. 30, 2020, and court is being conducted virtually through Jan. 31, 2021. For any updated information, please visit the Sixteenth Judicial District (Kane County) website.
The Edward Schock Centre of Elgin continue to offer limited programs and services.
- The fitness center and track continue operations at 25% capacity. Members must register for a 90-minute time slot at cityofelgin.org/register. Locker rooms are closed, but restrooms are still available. Masks must be worn at all times, regardless of distance between persons or equipment.
- Preschool and the Kids Club programs continue. All other programs are suspended.
- Pool activities continue with lap swim only. No teams or aerobics classes. Sign up for a time slot at cityofelgin.org/register.
- If Region 8 is downgraded to Tier 2, recreational and other offerings at the Edward Schock Centre of Elgin may be adjusted in accordance with the lower-tiered restrictions. Any updates will be posted to the Centre’s website.
- For more information on programming and memberships, contact the Edward Schock Centre of Elgin at 847-531-7000 or visit centreofelgin.org.
Bowes Creek Country Club, the Highlands of Elgin and Wing Park Golf Course are closed for the season. *Cross country ski trials are open at Bowes Creek when enough snow allows.
The Hemmens Cultural Center, Elgin Art Showcase, Elgin Sports Complex, Elgin Police Department lobby, the Eastside Recreation Center and Hawthorne Hill Nature Center remain closed to the public. *Trails are open at Hawthorne Hill Nature Center from dawn until dusk.
Suspension of Non-Essential Inspections
The suspension of all non-essential inspections continues until Monday, Feb. 8, to limit the public’s and city employee exposure to potentially unsafe situations. Life safety inspections and responses will continue during this time, but with extra steps being taken to ensure public safety.
While interacting with the public, inspectors will maintain a distance of 6 feet and wear a mask. During this time the city will not be imposing missed or rescheduled inspection fees. Specific inspection information is outlined below.
- Code Compliance — Interior inspections within homes and apartments are suspended except for life safety issues, like unsanitary conditions or unsafe structures. Rental license inspections for the exterior of the property only will continue.
- Building Permit and Fire Prevention Inspections — Building permit inspections continue as they often relate to fire suppression, electrical, natural gas or safe construction practices. Screening questions to determine if any persons present are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms will be asked at the time when inspections are being scheduled. If individuals have been experiencing symptoms, they will be asked to not be present or away from the area during inspections. Staff will wear masks and practice social distancing.
- Water Meter Upgrades and Installation — Residential water meter upgrades are suspended and new water meter installations are continuing. As with all continuing inspections, screening questions will be asked and additional safety and distancing steps will be taken when necessary.
- Health Department — Routine Health Department inspections are temporarily suspended, but new occupancy inspections and health complaints will continue.
- Open for Business
- All essential city services — police, fire, public works, water and sewer — continue without interruption. Other city business continues being conducted, to the greatest degree possible, using electronic communications and other means that either do not require a physical presence at City Hall or that provide social distancing to the greatest extent possible.
How can you pay your water bill?
Pay your water bill online at cityofelgin.org/waterbill, over the phone (call 311) or place a check in the drop box outside the entrance to City Hall.
How can I get and pay for a permit?
Submit permits, submit plans, request inspections or ask any other questions related to the issuance or payment of a permit by emailing permits@cityofelgin.
How can you pay your parking ticket or code citation?
Municipal parking tickets and code citations can also be paid online at cityofelgin.org/paybill.
How can you file a non-emergency police report?
Instead of having a police officer show up in person, you can report non-emergency police issues over the phone at 847-289-2700 or through the online reporting system.
Reports for accidental damage to property, burglary to vehicle, harassing/annoying phone calls, theft, vandalism to vehicle, accidental damage to vehicle, gas stations drive-off, lost/mislaid property and vandalism can be submitted online at cityofelgin.org/
Local Businesses Encouraged to Update Elgin Mapping Resource Hub Listings
The city of Elgin released an interactive mapping resource hub in May that supports local businesses and organizations, while providing consistent information for its residents.
The city is again encouraging businesses and organizations to update their listings, or be added, as mitigation measures continue to impact available service offerings.
Businesses are encouraged to update their service offerings on by completing the form at cityofelgin.org/
Once the form is completed, the city’s geographic information systems (GIS) team can update those service offering displayed on the map. If a business is not yet listed on the resource mapping hub, it can be added by completing the signup form at cityofelgin.org/bizsurvey.
SOURCE: city of Elgin news release