A house fire on Elgin’s east side serves as a reminder for holiday-season fire safety and the value of smoke detectors.
According to an Elgin Fire Department news release, firefighters responded at around 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Dece. 27, to the 1100 block of Mohawk Drive for a report of a possible chimney fire.
Responding fire companies found a one-story home with fire coming from the attic and chimney.
The first crew arrived on scene in just over five minutes. Fire crews immediately deployed a hand line to extinguish the fire. The fire was brought under control about 15 minutes after the arrival of the Fire Department.
Initial damage estimates are in excess of $30,000.
The occupants of the home were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and exited immediately, Elgin fire officials said.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries due to the fire. The home was red-tagged as it is uninhabitable and Code Enforcement was notified for follow-up.
The Elgin Fire Department Fire Investigation Team has determined the fire was started in the chimney area and is working to determine the cause of the fire.
SOURCE: Elgin Fire Department news release